Mac Mini memory upgrade confusion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4 GHz 2gig RAM 320gig HD
I have been looking at the specs for my new 2010 Mac Mini and I'm of the opinion there is some confusing info out there regarding memory upgrades. First this from Crucial -

Q: Do I have to install matching pairs?

A: No.

No, you can install modules one at a time, and you can mix different densities of modules in your computer. But if your computer supports dual-channel memory configurations, you should install in identical pairs (preferably in kits) for optimal performance.

Q: Does my computer support dual-channel memory?

A: No.

Your system does not support dual channel.

Now I have looked at the specs for the 320M graphics card plus this from the review of the Mini by AnandTech -

the GeForce 320M has a dual-channel DDR3 memory controller so you’ll want to upgrade in pairs

And this from Apple -

Your Mac mini has two memory slots in which you can install a pair of 1 GB, 2 GB, or 4 GB memory modules, for a maximum of 8 GB of memory. For best performance, don’t mix modules of different sizes; always install two identical memory modules.

Who then are we to believe? I note that a lot of people on this and other Mac forums state they have/are putting mixed modules in their Minis or in some cases just one single stick.

I think a definitive answer to this conundrum is required don't you? My instinct would be to go with matching pairs.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Someone may disagree with me, but every Mac since the early Core Duo's but especially starting with the Core2Duo use Dual Channel RAM. I am almost 100% sure of this as even my 1.66 Core Duo Mini (before I upgraded it to a C2D CPU) was a bit faster with 2 identical RAM modules installed.

I would believe Apple and Anandtech.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not sure why Crucial says otherwise, but the Mac Mini definitely supports dual-channel memory, as do nearly all modern computers.

Will it make much of a difference not using matched pairs? Probably not. But if maximum performance is your goal, I would definitely match them.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure why Crucial says otherwise, but the Mac Mini definitely supports dual-channel memory, as do nearly all modern computers.

Will it make much of a difference not using matched pairs? Probably not. But if maximum performance is your goal, I would definitely match them.

I have to say that it is something of a faux-pas for a firm like Crucial to make such a basic error (if indeed they have). In fact I would have thought such information was "crucial", sorry couldn't resist that one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here are two links to help with info regarding your new 2010 Mac-Mini. The first is a general overview of the 2010 Mac-Mini with info you may or may not already know:

EveryMac.com

The second...is OWC's (another good website to get ram from) "ram page" for 2010 Mac-mini ram:

Ram upgrades for 2010 Mac mini

HTH,

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Avoid the confusion..just visit OWC and get the full amount you need..they'll get you the right memory..:)

Regards

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here are two links to help with info regarding your new 2010 Mac-Mini. The first is a general overview of the 2010 Mac-Mini with info you may or may not already know:

EveryMac.com

The second...is OWC's (another good website to get ram from) "ram page" for 2010 Mac-mini ram:

Ram upgrades for 2010 Mac mini

HTH,

- Nick

Thanks for those links, unfortunately we don't have access to OWC here in the UK. We do however have similar outlets. I will ignore the advice given by Crucial and install matching pairs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Course you do. Just place an order and pay for USPS Air Mail like we do here in Australia and it is the best and cheapest way to go period. Like us, you also pay a premium for dealing with local suppliers, in our case about a 100% premium. If you check Nick's link you will see they recommend matched pairs for performance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for those links, unfortunately we don't have access to OWC here in the UK. We do however have similar outlets. I will ignore the advice given by Crucial and install matching pairs.

Sure you have access to "OWC"...members here on Mac-Forums from all over the world have used them...including members from the UK. If I knew you couldn't use OWC in the UK...I wouldn't recommend it.:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure you have access to "OWC"...members here on Mac-Forums from all over the world have used them...including members from the UK. If I knew you couldn't use OWC in the UK...I wouldn't recommend it.:)

- Nick

Well perhaps you are correct in your assertion. However, we do have a large well respected online PC/Mac parts supplier situated quite close to where I live. They also have a counter service which for me is good. I can get a 500 gig WD Scorpio HD for £45 and a pair of Corsair 2x2 RAM = 4 gig modules for £64 OWC price $87.99. Obviously there will be no postage or waiting involved and the cost compares quite favourably to OWC.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well perhaps you are correct in your assertion. However, we do have a large well respected online PC/Mac parts supplier situated quite close to where I live. They also have a counter service which for me is good. I can get a 500 gig WD Scorpio HD for £45 and a pair of Corsair 2x2 RAM = 4 gig modules for £64 OWC price $87.99. Obviously there will be no postage or waiting involved and the cost compares quite favourably to OWC.

Hey...do what you gotta do! If you got someone close to you with better prices...than go for it! OWC was only a suggestion...because you were so concerned about getting the wrong ram in your original post.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The thing that is nice about OWC and why so many here on Mac Forums recommend them is, the Memory from them is Guaranteed to work on the Mac Model you are purchasing it for. If it does not work they will make it right. Most others don't do that and many don't even test it on a Mac.

You will for sure get the right and proper RAM from OWC so thus the recommendation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Your call but make sure you do purchase Mac compatible modules. Most PC shops do not know what low density means.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2010) 2.66 12 Core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 12 GB Ram, MBP i7 2.66 2010, 8GB Ram
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi guys, thanks for all the input. I wasn't really worried about getting the correct RAM as my instinct whatever some stores may tell you is to replace pairs with pairs, it just makes sense. What I was concerned about is the conflicting information out there and for the less savvy this is an unnecessary confusion. I will of course make sure that I get the Mac compatible RAM. Fortunately the online store I mentioned does have a Mac section so I think that should suffice. I will of course double check as I will have them in my hand at the counter rather than buying online.

I'm not going to do anything with the HD for the present as Apple make it quite clear that a customer replaced HD will invalidate the warranty which is the last thing I want. I will wait until the end of twelve months. In the interim I will move all my video files onto an external drive which will free up an enormous amount of room.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2010) 2.66 12 Core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 12 GB Ram, MBP i7 2.66 2010, 8GB Ram
Only when you replace the HArd drive you self it would void the warranty. If you get it done by a Apple Authorised Service Provider IT DOES NOT VOID WARRANTY. depending on where you take it is what they would charge you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.