2gb to 4gb Memory Upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.7 GHz Quad-Core i7 // 16GB RAM // 512GB SSD // Radeon Pro 460 4GB
anyone upgrade their mac book pro from 2gb to 4gb? if so did you notice a big difference in performance...? i got mine about a month ago but am considering just upgrading to 4gb right now...i use adobe CS3 and Avid as well as basic computing stuff...

would it be worth it? big difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP LED 15" SR 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HDD, NIVIDIA 8600M GT 128MB
Yes, it's worth it if you use CS3 and Avid. If it's just for normal computer apps, it doesn't really matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
Let me start this off by saying that I don't use any of the horribly RAM-intensive apps that a lot of MBP owners use. However, I was wondering if upgrading the ram would help. I've noticed that if I run the same apps on my MBP that I ran on my iBook (640MB) that my computer uses more ram sometimes than my iBook even had. I know that running from RAM is faster than virtual memory. If I upgraded my RAM, would my computer take advantage of this and allocate more of the data currently running from virtual memory to running from RAM?

I don't even know if that makes sense! LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
I have a 2.2 MBP with 2GB of ram and with programs like CS2, Lightroom and other normal day to day stuff, its plenty fast to keep me happy. A friend of mine has the slightly older 2.33 with 4GB's and honestly, its not all that much faster with memory intensive programs. It is a little bit, but not enough to justify ripping out my two 1GB sticks and buying two more 2GB sticks.

This all assuming your running OSX...in Vista, his is substantially faster with the 4GB's!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
Would it make any difference in XP or just in Vista?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 MacBook Pro
JerrfyLube,

Does CS2 run choppy on your machine since its not universal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
JerrfyLube,

Does CS2 run choppy on your machine since its not universal?

Not at all...if you get a bunch of photos open at once and start doing serious editing, it does a little but its still very usable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
Would it make any difference in XP or just in Vista?

XP, your more than fine with 2GB...vista, i wouldnt even consider running it unless you have at least 2. I tried Vista with a single gig and it was SLOOOOWWWWWW!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.