** do I Restore files in Time Machine?

Reaction score
I have two questions concerning restoring something with time machine

1. I had the Sticky note widget opened with some writing on it and my daughter deleted it. How can I restore just what was written on the sticky note from two days ago?

2. Lets say my kids screwed up several things on my mac today, is there a way I can restore the whole computer and make it like it was in whole from some point in the past, say two or three days ago?

The reason I ask is that since I am not sure what they exactly did and to what extent, I would just rather go back and restore everything from a point in the past when I knew everything was good. Is this possible?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A bit late replying.....

See this Apple article:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/timemachine.html

Sorry I can't give you much info about Time Machine as I do not use it. I'm using another method of backup.

From what I do know about Time Machine, it is possible to completely restore all your data in the event of a system hard drive crash. It's also possible to restore specific files\folders from a particular date or time.

Do some digging around in the forums for a better answer and read the Apple article I posted above.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I'm not sure you'll be able to get it back because it would need to be a specific file.

If you were working in Word, you wouldn't be able to get it back through Time Machine, or any other means, if you hadn't saved the file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
2. Lets say my kids screwed up several things on my mac today, is there a way I can restore the whole computer and make it like it was in whole from some point in the past, say two or three days ago?

I would seriously consider giving them their own account with standard privileges rather than admin privileges

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.