Lion Install Fail

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I downloaded the Lion OS upgrade from the App store today but the install has failed. After the first reboot I get the on screen message "Install failed.* Mac OS X could not be installed on this computer because the disk Macintosh HD is damaged and can't be repaired"
I have tried Disk Utility but that doesn't give me the option to repair the disk. Ideally I'd like to format and reinstall OSX completely but I don't know where to start with that. I seem to be stuck in a vicious circle because the Lion DMG is mounted (it appears in Disk Utility) and every time I reboot I get the "Install Mac OS X" screen which leads to the install failed message.* Please can somebody help?

Andy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You need the Disks that came with your computer do you have them ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram
Insert the Mac OS disc, boot up holding the C key. Open Disk Utility from Utilities, erase and format your disk and/or repair it. Then try again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Though you'll need to install SL again and then run the download/installer again unless you've made yourself a Lion disc.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes I have the original disks.

Pop disc 1 in. Turn the machine OFF. Turn it back on and press and hold the option key immediately after doing so. After some time, the disc should show up as a bootable option. Select it.

The Mac OS X Installer should start. Proceed through the splash screen and any subsequent screens until the Menu bar appears at the top of the screen. Open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. Select your HD in the left window pane. Select First Aid in the right window pane. Run Verify Disk, then Repair Disk and the same with Verify Permissions and Repair Permissions.

When all is done, I would recommend downloading and running the SMART Utility to make sure that HDD is healthy.

OP
C
Reaction score
Insert the Mac OS disc, boot up holding the C key. Open Disk Utility from Utilities, erase and format your disk and/or repair it. Then try again!

I have tried this but it came up with another, different error (can't remember what it actually said :\)

I am currently trying cwa107's suggestion. It has allowed me to repair disk, I have selected erase and install and it seems to be working so far.

Cheers for the help guys and hopefully the next thing I post will be "It worked, thank you".

Fingers crossed :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's hoping, mate. Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.