iTunes and CD/DVD issues with Parallels

D

d.c.1

so i've just bought a new MacBook Pro and installed Parallels. everything seems to work fine so far, except if i install iTunes on both Mac OS and Windows XP, the one on XP doesn't play the disc or import the music. it just kinda goes haywire. i've since uninstalled iTunes from XP, but even now when Parallels is running XP, the Mac OS does not recognize an inserted CD or DVD. i have to shut down the virtual machine before it shows up in iTunes of even on the desk top.

how do i fix these problems without having to shut down the virtual machine? is it possible to run two seperate iTunes on the same laptop? i'll be working in XP a lot and want to be able to play mp3s and import music etc. while in XP mode.

thanks!

Reaction score
Can't you just play the music in OS X then just tab over to Windows and still hear it?

Reaction score
I have this problem too. My Mac OS doesn't recognize any CD when Parallels is running. When I look at the Finder it shows the [C] drive as Microsoft Windows instead of the CD that is inserted.

Is it possible to have Parallels running in the background and have access to the CD drive from the Mac side at the same time?

Reaction score
I know I can disconnect the CD drive from Parallels and then the Mac OS will see it again, but is there a way to have the CD drive connected to both OSs at the same time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Go into Parallels preferences. There are tabs there for various hardware. Personally, I disable cd/dvd for Parallels. That way a cd/dvd always mounts to Mac. If I need it in XP, I simply go to the lower right bottom of the Parellels window where the icons for CD, Network, USB, etc are located. By right clicking I can enable the CD and connect to whatever is in my superdirve. Let us know if that works and good luck!
-Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I know I can disconnect the CD drive from Parallels and then the Mac OS will see it again, but is there a way to have the CD drive connected to both OSs at the same time?

I don't believe so. You could, however, use Disk Utility or a cd "ripper" type application to make an ISO file of the cd/dvd if you needed access to it on both Mac and Windows simultaneously. I don't think it would work with application software like games, but it should work with movies, photos and possibly music you burnt yourself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.