Registry error encountered during Boot Camp driver install

Reaction score
I'm not very tech-savvy, so please bear with me which I explain my situation.

I have an iMac 3.2 Ghz Intel Core i3 with 4GB memory. I just went to install the Boot Camp partition and XP with SP2. (I'm on Snow Leopard so this is BC 3.0).

Following the instructions in the the BC Startup Guide (BTW nice for Apple to assume everyone has a printer for that; I spent 20 minutes copying everything down that I needed), everything seemed to go smoothly until about 3/4 of the way through the Boot Camp driver installation.

I spotted this error for about a half second. It looks like the BC disk was doing something with the System Registry on XP and it said it had encountered an error. I was given 3 options: Abort Retry and one other I couldn't see in time because the thing was on screen for about 1/2 a second before the computer automatically rebooted.

OK, so I let it reboot. Then my second quandary came when the New Hardware Wizard came on and asked me to install drivers from a website or something like that. The guide said nothing about that and I didn't know what drivers I needed for what, so I cancelled out of it.

So far it seems to be working OK except I cannot access the Boot Camp control panel. But the Internet side is working, as is my mouse and keyboard. And the screen resolution seems OK. And most importantly I'm able to get back onto the Mac side.

So I guess two questions:

1. what's up with the registry error thing? Does this mean I have to start all over again? (And as I say I didn't even have time to write down what file it was or anything before the reboot began).

2. How do I handle the wizard? Am I supposed to let it go back into the Boot Camp disc? It (and the Boot Camp user guide) wasn't very clear on this.

Right now my only intent with XP is to play a few games with it, so there's no real urgency (everything that MATTERS is on the Mac side). But I wouldn't want to install a bunch of games only to find they won't play properly. I'm also holding back on updating the XP system itself until I find out if I need to start over again (and yes I'm aware of the SP3 issue, so I'm prepared to do the fancy footwork on that).

Any ideas? Thanks!

Alex

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We can't tell you anything about the registry error until you tell us what it is. Check the install log that XP creates when it first starts up. The log will be in the root directory of drive C and should be in plain text format.

Did you insert your Snow Leopard disk to install drivers after booting to XP the first time? If not, do it now or do it again.

OP
Reaction score
We can't tell you anything about the registry error until you tell us what it is. Check the install log that XP creates when it first starts up. The log will be in the root directory of drive C and should be in plain text format.

Did you insert your Snow Leopard disk to install drivers after booting to XP the first time? If not, do it now or do it again.

Yes, I did, otherwise I couldn't have installed the Boot Camp drivers I was referring to. It was during that part of the process that I got the failure.

Is the install log file you refer to something I can read from the Mac side on the "Untitled" partition? I'm not finding anything called install.txt or anything like that. Or is it just a temp file created when I boot up in XP that get's deleted when I reboot? Thanks!

Alex

OP
Reaction score
OK, still no sign of that file that's supposed to be there. What I did was insert the OSX disk and had it reinstall all the drivers. It did finally complete the job and I can access the Boot Camp control panel. But....

Whereas I had sound before doing this, now I have no sound at all.

A couple of other forums mention some additional drivers that need to be installed, but I would have expected everything to have been on the Boot Camp disk.

PS. It gets better. I went back to the OSX installation disk a third time and chose the "Repair" option. It went through about 3/4 of the way and in the midst of going through the Intel Chipset section -- I got the Blue Screen of Death for 2 seconds and then the computer rebooted. So I have no idea whether Windows will even be operational when I try rebooting to that side again.

I have a feeling this wasn't meant to be.

PPS. I found a file called RHDSetup. Is this what you were talking about? I want to cut-and-paste it, but it triggers some weird filter in this forum that's interpreting the text as image files and it won't let me do it.

Alex

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi:

Sounds like you're still having difficulty getting XP to setup correctly from Boot Camp. The file I'm referring to may be hidden in the root of drive C. Make sure in the file viewing options that you turn on show all hidden and system files. It will then show up using the XP file Explorer.

The file "RHDsetup" is not the one we need to look at. That particular file is binary. The setup log file that XP creates is plain text. Let me know if you can find it. I also received your PM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.