• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Are Google going too far?

Reaction score
It seems like Google are now DELIBERATELY trying to compete with Apple...I mean...

Apple - Mac OS X
Google - Chromium OS

Apple - iPhone
Google - Nexus One (and other Android phones)

Apple - iPad
Google - Upcoming Android tablet (probably going to be made with their best friends, Nvidia, Adobe, HTC and the like), plus other Android tablets

Apple - Apple TV
Google - Google TV

Apple - iTunes
Google - Upcoming Web-Based iTunes competitor

I think it was fine right up the TV thing...that was just a blatant attack at the Apple TV's market.
Bear in mind a few years ago (around when the first iPhone came out), a lot of these didn't exist, and Google were good friends of Apple...
Sure, Google are out there to make money, and most of the products they launched are actually pretty good, but all of these products are basically Google clones of Apple products...there's little innovation involved.

What next...a Google MP3 player to compete in the iPod Nano's market?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
What's the problem? Competition benefits the consumer. By having to compete, both companies will put out excellent products they otherwise wouldn't have if they were alone in that particular market segment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
What's the problem? Competition benefits the consumer. By having to compete, both companies will put out excellent products they otherwise wouldn't have if they were alone in that particular market segment.

Agreed 100% I love the competition it keeps everyone on their toes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Is a company going too far by competing for market share with another company?

Are Google going too far?

... Where's the blank face smiley when you need it?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I think more options are better as well. Google and Apple are better at some things, and on the flip-side, not so great.

Like… I think Apple TV is a flop, so Google TV may spur some innovation perhaps. I hope.

OP
I
Reaction score
You clearly missed my point...they were more ripping off than competing. Note that things like Android phones and the Android tablet were announced only a few months after the iPhone and iPad respectively.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You clearly missed my point...they were more ripping off than competing. Note that things like Android phones and the Android tablet were announced only a few months after the iPhone and iPad respectively.

There's a term that I've always liked... "Piggy-backing". Taking an idea and building on it. It's how good things are made great. Like everyone else said, competition is important for advancement in technology. If necessity is the mother of invention, then competition is the landlord knocking on your door looking for the rent check. (did that make sense??) ;D

Reaction score
Competition benefits the consumer.

I agree with Kash. This is very important to a free market economy. I would not want to see any company dominate the market and charge ridiculous prices for their products.
Competition = Good

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

You don't understanding how technology, technologists, and the companies whom employ them works. You're talking about a "few months", while in the meantime, future iterations of ideas have already been examined and are only awaiting the next wave of products to hit the shelves.

These companies are made up of so many different entities, which have been playing in this field for a long time. Do you really believe that any one company has exclusive rights to an idea ? That is preposterous to think !
And do you honestly think that Apple coined every single one of their product ideas on their very own too ? Did you know that the original iPod GUI was bought and NOT invented by Apple ?

There are a lot of things which work like that, so you'd better start getting used to the idea that if it weren't for collaborative "thinking" innovation would be a sitting duck. Same goes for music, fine art, architecture, sculpting, food recipes, and so on..

Want a great example ? I'll defer to music, since I'm a musician. Can you pinpoint the exact point in time when a particular person or group of people created the necessary ingredients which were able to bring us all of the different types of music which exists today ? Think about that for a while.

Now do you understand how silly what you said sounds ? Hope so.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
You clearly missed my point...they were more ripping off than competing.
I can kind of understand your point about the copying but usually consumers can tell who is the one innovating and who is the wannabe copycat. That is part of the reason why we all don't buy knockoff copycat products. If it was exactly the same then I can see your point but as others have mentioned part of advancement is trying to improve upon a good idea. The competition makes Apple and it's competitors improve their products.

If Google were releasing exact clones of every Apple product then I can also see your point but Apple products are not perfect and there are things about their products that can be improved upon. You also make it sound as if Google's only projects are the same as Apple's. Some of them happen to be the same as Apple's while their other projects aren't. Google seems to want a piece of every market out there and be this super giant come to me for everything company.

As mentioned by someone else Apple's TV isn't Apple greatest shining moment and if Google can improve upon the idea then so much the better. Also if something is in demand then other companies are going to try to tap into that market and improve upon what is already there. Like I said earlier customers usually can tell who the copycat is and who actually innovates and improves their products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Tablets were in the market for ten years before iPad came out. You saying Apple copied Microsoft and its hardware partners? There were several MP3 players on the market years before the iPod came out. You saying Apple copied Rio, Creative, etc?

Just because Apple makes a product and other companies come out with similar products doesn't mean they blatantly copied Apple. Apple isn't some magical company 5-10 years ahead of everybody else, they just look like they are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
This thread is funny. I agree with Kash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Agreed 100% I love the competition it keeps everyone on their toes

And I agree with this comment 100% We need apple on their toes, not sitting back with nothing to need to put out to stay ahead!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I agree with Eric559 ;)

Reaction score
Apple - Mac OS X
Google - Chromium OS

Many users use Mac OSX, Ubuntu, Linux, Windows and Why will they move to a new OS where no program work.

Apple - iPhone
Google - Nexus One (and other Android phones)

Nexus One will get famous only if they low there price. Nexus one don't have all features as an iPhone.

Apple - iPad
Google - Upcoming Android tablet (probably going to be made with their best friends, Nvidia, Adobe, HTC and the like), plus other Android tablets

I think Android tablet will get famous that iPad becuase of there best friends, Nvidia, Adobe, HTC ect. Kill your self, Google. (So Google is a guy?)

Apple - Apple TV
Google - Google TV

//ok ok

Apple - iTunes
Google - Upcoming Web-Based iTunes competitor

*sniffs* I dont even. *sniffs*

What next...a Google MP3 player to compete in the iPod Nano's market?

They are going to kill there self.

Reaction score
I think it is awesome that Google is pushing hard against Apple.

Maybe Jobs will be a little more motivated to stop his censorship of the app store.

Not to mention do something to make AppleTV worth our money. It was interesting when it came out but it is nothing more than a joke right now. GoogleTV actually looks pretty exciting. I think they've set the bar for that type of product..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Nexus One will get famous only if they low there price. Nexus one don't have all features as an iPhone.

Who are you kidding?? I agree the Nexus is expensive, But as for features and shear hardware it blows the iPhone away, Larger screen (Yes size matters) faster microprocessor,higher res camera,wireless tethering,open source OS, The Android market has the same redundant Fart and flash light apps as the Apple AppStore.

I think it is awesome that Google is pushing hard against Apple.

Maybe Jobs will be a little more motivated to stop his censorship of the app store.

Agreed unlike PC makers and other smartphone makers Google is a force to be reckon with. They like Apple are starting to gain a cult like following, So far the products they put out are useful I for one use Google voice everyday it's the best. There Android OS is a great alternative to the iPhone.

The best part it keeps Apple on their toes, If there wasn't someone there to keep Apple motivated....Well look what happened to Nokia.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
One question.

With the myriad of legal eagles Apple employs, do you really think ipodmacfan legal action would not have been instituted if copyright and patent laws were infringed?

It is called competition and it is a GREAT thing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Competition is a good thing. Unfortunately, Chrome OS (Chromium is one of the open source ports) is a pile of crapola. Your "OS" is Chrome browser and it leads you to google docs and other web apps. Which I guess is a cool concept for some people, but I do production. An OS that operates almost entirely in the cloud other than some background scripts that make things run just doesn't appeal to me at all. I need the power of my computer. Maybe for netbooks... so no, Google's Chrome OS isn't a direct competition to Apple. It's meant more for the netbook market if not as an experiment at this point.

Android on TV is a good thing. It'll be nice and maybe force Apple to step up its game in that market.

Android tablets aren't a google invention. They're a natural successor to Android smart phones. Get over it.

So... yes, Google is competing. They're not targeting Apple specifically. They're investing in new growing markets. Apple has a good track record of picking the correct markets to compete in and launch new products in said markets earlier than others. Google is just playing the new games that have developed as a result of pioneers like Apple. It happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.