Alternative to Apple Cinema Display?

Reaction score
I'm a creative/design professional in the market for a new widescreen display, but am looking for a more affordable option than the Apple 30" Cinema Display. Sizewise, ~24" to 26", non-glossy screen. Suitable screen resolution + color accuracy for print industry standards. Prefer no built-in speakers, etc. I'm working on a Mac Pro Quad Core, if that makes a difference.

Recommendations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I've noticed that the quality of the other brand displays has been getting better, and the cost lower. But I really think you have to look at the exact make/model of each display to make sure you like it. I wouldn't rely on a written description and specs. For general purpose use, sure, just order off the internet. But for professional use I'd think you'd want to eyeball the real deal first before buying. So I'd suggest making time to visit a few local retailers to check them out firsthand.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm a creative/design professional in the market for a new widescreen display, but am looking for a more affordable option than the Apple 30" Cinema Display. Sizewise, ~24" to 26", non-glossy screen. Suitable screen resolution + color accuracy for print industry standards. Prefer no built-in speakers, etc. I'm working on a Mac Pro Quad Core, if that makes a difference.

Recommendations?

Buy a 27" iMac. The 27" iMac display uses the same quality panels as the 30" Cinema Display.

Not only do you get a great display...you get a great computer as well...with the base model 27" iMac costing less than the 30" Apple display.

HTH,

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I thought the new 27" iMac uses a glossy screen? The OP does not want a glossy screen as he's using it for design work.

To the OP:

The latest issue of MacWorld likes the LaCie professional display but it's as pricey as the Apple 30" cinema display. :(

Regards.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
For people who are looking for a cheaper Apple Cinema Display, linky here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Nice, Crimson!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I bought an inexpensive monitor from Best Buy. My last one konked out after about three years. Best Buy offers an extended warranty of four years. I usually don't go for those "insurance" packages. In this case, I did. I'm sure they'd offer the same warranty for high end monitors. If it dies within the warranty period, you get to apply the full purchase price to a new monitor. My receipt is taped to the back of the monitor!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I believe that these are things you should look for in a monitor when we are specifically talking about print design.

o High contrast at medium brightness
o Accurate color/gamma curve
o Good text reproduction
o Wide gamut (92% W-CCFL or >100% LED) preferred for CMYK/print matching

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I thought the new 27" iMac uses a glossy screen? The OP does not want a glossy screen as he's using it for design work.

You're right...I forgot about the glossy part...I was focusing on display quality & price.

- Nick

OP
Q
Reaction score
i saw those CinemaViews, too, but there is little info on the net about them, as far as testing and reviews. plus, i think the screen is glossy. these are really too fresh to the market for me to take a chance on.

i have come across this though, which is looking like it might work:
26" NEC MultiSync LCD2690WUXi2

anybody familiar with this monitor? seems to have features geared towards my line of work, and i can live with the price point.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i saw those CinemaViews, too, but there is little info on the net about them, as far as testing and reviews. plus, i think the screen is glossy. these are really too fresh to the market for me to take a chance on.

i have come across this though, which is looking like it might work:
26" NEC MultiSync LCD2690WUXi2

anybody familiar with this monitor? seems to have features geared towards my line of work, and i can live with the price point.

That's probably the best monitor the for money. Fits all the criteria for print design to a T. I say go for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.