I've got a new mini!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
This is the greatest day of my computing life. Less than 2 hours in and I've already installed Photoshop CS2, Firefox 2.0, and have configured all of my shared network resources (card reader, printer, fileserver on main PC). This is a piece of cake. I got a 1.83GHZ Mini with 512MB of RAM and this thing isn't as slow as people had made them out to be. I'm running MSN Messenger, Firefox, Photoshop, and a couple of Finder windows wile playing music in iTunes without any problems. Weird.

Anyways, my experience was great at the University Village Apple Store. I got a nice Military discount, bringing my total down under $950 including bluetooth keyboard, mouse, and sales tax.

Here's a screenshot from a few minutes ago...

screenshotig4.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
awesome i hope you enjoy it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Congrats on the purchase.

Looks like you can change your sig now :p

M

MacHeadCase

Congratulations on your new acquisition, nukemm!

And don't forget: we're here for you if ever you have any questions. :girl:

Reaction score
Congrats! When I got mine, I was hooking it up at school, using the monitor, keyboard and mouse from an older PowerMac. My friend and I were treating it as though it was the holy grail when I was setting it up. It randomly restarted while I was going through the setup, though...

And yes, a mini kicks so much ***, though you sound like you got a better model than I did (Just from the price), so your experience will probably be a lot better than mine.

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This thing is awesome so far, I can't wait to start trying out cool things, like the little remote. How does this guy work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the remote works with itunes and front row and some other things. press the menu button to get to front row.

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow.

This is seriously the greatest computer I've ever owned. I don't know why PC's aren't this easy. This remote thing is the coolest gadget ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im glad you like it macs are truly amazing. You might wanna upgrade your ram down the line though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
congrats sounds cool.

tell me how it run games when if ou use bootcamp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Congrats!!! I love the GTI!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
NICE! Congratulations!

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im glad you like it macs are truly amazing. You might wanna upgrade your ram down the line though

After the first of the year (read: tax return time) I plan on getting upgrading the processor and maxing the ram out, along with getting it it's own 20+" widescreen LCD. I'm not doing it justice right now on my 19" LCD, but in the hierarchy that is my computer desk, the PC has been relegated to a 15" LCD, and is now the second computer of preference, no longer the first.

Congrats!!! I love the GTI!!

Me, too. That car is actually the reason I was able to throw down for a new Mac today. I refinanced last week and I don't have a payment due until the 15th of January, and my new payment is only half of the old payment.

congrats sounds cool.

tell me how it run games when if ou use bootcamp.

I might run bootcamp just to check it out, but I don't have much of a "real" need for it, as I do have my PC that is plenty capable, though it is over 2 years old. At the very least I'll be upgrading the RAM before trying anything too serious.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Congrats!! Glad you like your new intel Mini.

One question though, you are not running Firefox and Messenger out of the Mounted DMG Image are you? If so, drag the file out of the image to the applications folder otherwise you will have to open the image every time and mount it before you can run those apps. In your picture it looks that way. If you already copied them to the Apps folder, disregard this and enjoy that Mini!!

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats!! Glad you like your new intel Mini.

One question though, you are not running Firefox and Messenger out of the Mounted DMG Image are you? If so, drag the file out of the image to the applications folder otherwise you will have to open the image every time and mount it before you can run those apps. In your picture it looks that way. If you already copied them to the Apps folder, disregard this and enjoy that Mini!!

Thanks for the tip, I suppose I should probably do that before I get frustrated.

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, so far, so good. After 15 minutes of trying, I finally succeeded in moving Firefox and MSN Messenger to the applications folder. I had to copy them first, then eject them from the desktop. I'm not sure if my terminology is right as far as copy and eject, but it worked. I have MSN Messenger and Firefox both in the applications folder.

If items are in the applications folder, is the similar to "installing" programs in Windows? How about uninstalling programs, do I just drag them to the trash can when I don't want them anymore?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
some files actually install they are .pkg files and they sometimes include an un installer. oh you might wanna drag firefox and msn to the dock for quick access.

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
some files actually install they are .pkg files and they sometimes include an un installer. oh you might wanna drag firefox and msn to the dock for quick access.

I figured that one out, too. I actually opened them and they put themselves on the dock. I then hold-clicked (holding down the mouse, similar effect to right-click in Windows) and selected "Keep in Dock" - hopefully it will stay there for quick access.

I also discovered the solution to another problem. I couldn't get my mini to connect to my wireless LAN with WEP enabled, but it wasn't a configuration issue, it was a lack of familiarity with OS X that was asking me for my admin password, not for the WEP key, so, instead of logging in as admin to change the WEP key, I couldn't get the thing to work. I figured it out after a while, though, and am now up and running, WEP enabled & all. :D

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you can also just grab anything out of your applications folder (or anywhere else) and move it to the dock and it will create a dock alias, as an alternative to running the program and using the "keep in dock" feature.

good luck with your new li'l guy!
icon10.gif

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you can also just grab anything out of your applications folder (or anywhere else) and move it to the dock and it will create a dock alias, as an alternative to running the program and using the "keep in dock" feature.

good luck with your new li'l guy!
icon10.gif

Good to know, thanks.

So far this isn't that difficult of a transition. Maybe it's that I'm not expecting things to work the same way as they did in Windows. Does anyone have any recommendations to replace the Email program? It flat out sucks, no option to leave messages on the server, no ability to not preview messages, etc. If anyone has a preferred solution, I'm all ears.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.