Upgrade or buy new?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature.
I was on my college's tech support web page just browsing and stumbled upon a recommended/minimum system requirement list. I got to reading and it doesn't look like it would support my laptop (a Dell Latitude D531) because I had ditched the Windows and went to using Ubuntu on it. So I would have to temporarily ditch Ubuntu and go to Windows 7 (prefer the Pro) that would be ~ $275 shipped, upgrade my memory (recommended was 4GB, the stuff I picked out was $75 w/ free shipping), the new battery shipped was just short of $100, and a new hard drive would be ~$75 because the current one is getting too small to store all my files. Started looking at the Apple Store online, I can get a discount on a 13" MBP and get brand new hardware and all, for less than double the cost of me upgrading the stuff I already own or upsize the screen to 15" for just a little extra.

Down to the heart of the question- Do I upgrade, or buy new? If I should buy new, 13" or 15"?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your post was moved as it does not belong in the lounge. We ask that you read forum descriptions and Sticky notices before posting. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
If you want to go Mac I say you upgrade and sell that Dell.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature.
Sorry about having to move it. Didn't really know where else to go w/ it as I couldn't really find another topic to classify it under.

Selling it hasn't been an option I've thought of yet, however it would be nice to keep a backup just in case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
Sorry about having to move it. Didn't really know where else to go w/ it as I couldn't really find another topic to classify it under.

Selling it hasn't been an option I've thought of yet, however it would be nice to keep a backup just in case.

That also seems like a reasonable idea. An extra computer is always good. I think that if you did the upgrades to the Dell it would still only be worth about as much as you put into it which for me is a hint that you shouldn't do it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature.
I think that if you did the upgrades to the Dell it would still only be worth about as much as you put into it which for me is a hint that you shouldn't do it.

I would agree with you on that. Even good computers that are only 2 years old are selling in my area on Craigslist for up to half off their original price. The Macs seem to hold their value better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.