How to improve your iPhone's battery life

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Found an interesting and informative article on how to improve your iPhone's battery life. The author lists 26 ways to do it. Not all are ones that I could implement but the ones that I did really improved the time between charges; in other words, extended the battery life.

Go thru them and see if you can improve your phone's battery life.

26 ways to improve your iPhone's battery life | Page 20 | ZDNet

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey Charlie. With that link…you started us at Idea #20 instead of Idea #1.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
That's definitely a great article. We had implemented quite a few of those suggestions back when my wife was having battery life issues on her iPhone 4S. They definitely made a difference.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Definitely a great article. The wife & I had a little disagreement tonight about her getting home EXTRA late from work (I'm talking 8pm)…and her not sending me a message/heads up about it (I'm waiting to have dinner with her).

Of course the "excuse" (ahem…REASON);)…was the iPhone was dead (it really was dead). But I didn't know that till she got home.

- Nick

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey Charlie. With that link…you started us at Idea #20 instead of Idea #1.;)0 - Nick

Yeah, I just noticed that when you mentioned it. I forgot that I was at the end of the article when I copied the bookmark.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I just noticed that when you mentioned it. I forgot that I was at the end of the article when I copied the bookmark.

No biggie...just pulling your leg!;) The wife is going to try some of the ideas on her iPhone...and see how it goes.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Good list, and I reckon this is the most important ~ Adjust human behavior: don't check your phone as much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had read another good guide a few days ago on improving battery life that was put together by someone who use to work the Genius Bar. One of his tips directly contradicts the recommendation in the first article to always close any apps you aren't using, and explains why. I believe he is correct on this.
The Ultimate Guide to Solving iOS Battery Drain

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice article but I disagree with his step 8. My phone is so I can receive calls... by turning off cellular when in weak areas, (airplane mode) I lose that ability. What's the sense of having the phone with me then? (Granted the weak area call may be spotty, but at least I've made contact.) Also, I'm not so sure I agree with his reasoning for not terminating apps. I'll need to test that for myself.

Not everyone uses their phone the same way, so what may work for me may not necessarily work for someone else.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I liked the last idea...cheat...and buy an external battery!;)

I think that my wife (the over-prepared person)...has 3-4 of these. Of course she didn't have one of them with her when the iPhone went dead yesterday!!!;) So sometimes external batteries don't always help (if you don't have it with you).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice article but I disagree with his step 8. My phone is so I can receive calls... by turning off cellular when in weak areas, (airplane mode) I lose that ability. What's the sense of having the phone with me then? (Granted the weak area call may be spotty, but at least I've made contact.) Also, I'm not so sure I agree with his reasoning for not terminating apps. I'll need to test that for myself.

Not everyone uses their phone the same way, so what may work for me may not necessarily work for someone else.

Well I think he's talking more about extreme situations where acquiring and maintaining a signal is very difficult to impossible. I think it may be a practical idea when traveling through zones with very poor or no service, or when in a building where you wouldn't be expecting to use your phone anyway. We aren't allowed to use our cell phones at work and mine stays in a locker for 8 or more hours, though I might check it on break. Obviously one should weigh the ups and downs and your immediate situation before implementing that tip.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.