Is 4Gb enough on a MacBook for an advanced photographer?

Reaction score
I bought a gently used MacBook Pro that's a bit over a year old and that has 4 Gb of RAM. I am wondering if it's good enough to handle large raw photo files and so on as my wife is going to use this mac for doing her photography stuff... via Photoshop and other such software for pic editing.

I could upgrade to 8gb if necessary but thought I'd ask the pros before dropping a $100-200 or whatever it costs to add the memory.

Thanks!

Lewis

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It would be a good idea to up the memory to at least 8 GB especially if you're going to be running Photoshop. We recommend Crucial or OWC as the best vendors to buy the memory from.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I could upgrade to 8gb if necessary but thought I'd ask the pros before dropping a $100-200 or whatever it costs to add the memory.

An 8gig ram upgrade should cost you closer to $50-$60 bucks (assuming you're in the U.S.). At that price...why not!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
I bought a gently used MacBook Pro that's a bit over a year old and that has 4 Gb of RAM. I am wondering if it's good enough to handle large raw photo files and so on as my wife is going to use this mac for doing her photography stuff... via Photoshop and other such software for pic editing.

Thanks!

Lewis

Do the 16gb from OWC $149 Get all that you can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 I3, 16Gig Ram, OSX 10.6.8

Thanks!

Lewis

The very first thing I did after getting my iMac was to order 16 Gig of high speed RAM and have the Mac dealer install it. It's not the Apple brand of RAM but identical chip modules made by Crucial. It's been running great for better than 4 years, now with Mountain Lion aboard. I'm a power Photoshop user.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The very first thing I did after getting my iMac was to order 16 Gig of high speed RAM and have the Mac dealer install it. It's not the Apple brand of RAM but identical chip modules made by Crucial. It's been running great for better than 4 years, now with Mountain Lion aboard. I'm a power Photoshop user.

Great advice Bob!:)

As far as I can tell...you're one of the "Main-Men" around here when it comes to photography!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great advice Bob!:)

As far as I can tell...you're one of the "Main-Men" around here when it comes to photography!:)

- Nick

Few computers or software require more resources than Adobe Photoshop. Only high end gaming requires more.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Hey Bob wouldn't it be safe to say that other than memory an ample amount of storage space is one of the next best investments?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Bob wouldn't it be safe to say that other than memory an ample amount of storage space is one of the next best investments?

IMHO you don't need a big hard drive at all. My iMac has a 500 gig HD and still has 350 gig free. I store my photos online at SmugMug.com, have for 4 years. They backup everything on three different servers at three different locations. It cost me around $50 a year for that security. Even though hard drives have gotten cheaper it doesn't get close to that price. Plus, what's your time worth spent backing up on multiple hard drives? If there's a fire, theft or disaster in your home you lose everything. I can't deal with that.

After RAM your best investment is good software. With my Photography I own the latest Mac versions of Photoshop and plug-in suites from 3 different makers: Topaz, OnOne & NIK. Again, these were all downloaded from the companies so backups are always available for free. Been there, done that.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a good deal to have backups in more than one place. I don't have a lot of photos at the moment but would like to begin digitizing a lot of old family photos and do some touchup work.

I have the OnOne plugins and really like them. I need to contact them since I need to reinstall them and seem to have misplaced my serial number. I'll be trying the NIK plugins soon as well.

Reaction score
4GB RAM is just fine if you just collect so many pictures, etc. But if you're planning to download so many applications and software a larger RAM is better :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
4GB RAM is just fine if you just collect so many pictures, etc. But if you're planning to download so many applications and software a larger RAM is better :)

RAM has nothing to do with storage. So what and how much you download are have no relation to the RAM. RAM has everything to do with WHAT you run. So running applications that will load large RAW images or video footage for post-processing needs a lot of RAM to make it efficient..

Please learn about the terminology and usage before posting..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RAM has nothing to do with storage. So what and how much you download are have no relation to the RAM. RAM has everything to do with WHAT you run. So running applications that will load large RAW images or video footage for post-processing needs a lot of RAM to make it efficient..

Please learn about the terminology and usage before posting..

Give her a break. I've got underwear older than her. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
Go with 16G crucial. Great investment.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Give her a break. I've got underwear older than her. :)

LOL
1. WAAAAAY too much info there Bob.
2. You must hate shopping more than I do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL
1. WAAAAAY too much info there Bob.
2. You must hate shopping more than I do.

Actually I hate doing laundry so I have 6 weeks worth of tighty whities. :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.