Leopard + Ejecting Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reigns surpeme
Ever since i installed leopard on my MBP its seems like it does not want to eject the drive i place in, whether it be a firewire or usb.

Only if i reboot the computer and then thats when i can eject them. But if i wait about 10min after the reboot it wont eject any more.

Any help would be great.
:D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have not had that issue.

But, I have noticed one improvement related to ejecting drives.
With my external drive and multiple partitions, under Tiger, you ejected one, they all ejected. With Leopard, I can eject individual partitions on that drive. This will be ideal for when SuperDuper is back. I can then eject my backup partition when I don't want Superduper to make a backup at it's regularly scheduled time and continue using the other partition.

Sorry, to hijack your thread.

What external drive are you using and does it give any type of feedback or just sit there and do nothing after you try to eject it?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reigns surpeme
Im using a WD 1TB with raid capabilities. Connected firewire. That will never eject unless i reboot.

If i open the drive up to access my folders and eject or cmd e it will just close the folder but will not eject the drive.

M

MacHeadCase

Are you using 10.5 or 10.5.1?

Edited to add:

In this Apple Discussions thread, some have reported success when they turned Time Machine off. Are you running Time Machine at all times?

And make sure you are really up to date with your Software Update. Somewhere else someone reported success after Login & Keychain Update 1.0 was installed.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
So you're trying to eject from within Finder.

cmd e, does not eject the drive on my system either. I really have no idea if this ever worked since I'm one of those mouse guys. Dislike doing anything via the keyboard that I can do with a mouse.

Selecting the eject icon on the left side of the Finder window does however give me the option of ejecting the partition or all partitions on that drive.

What about cmd click the icon on the desktop, does this eject the drive?

Time Machine, hadn't even thought of that... or some other backup software...

M

MacHeadCase

I edited my earlier post and added info. Are you up to date with your Software Update?

And there's always the possibility that an indexing of the drive you are trying to disconnect is underway and Leopard's Spotlight is stopping you from doing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I had a similar problem with 10.5 it went away or became more stable with 10.5.1. It was like the eject buttons in finder didn't work
BTW.It was a full erase and install I did

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reigns surpeme
I actually just turned it off lastnight. Its eating away at my hard drive.

It took about 260+ gigs of space. So i turned it off.

i wish i could just do a weekly back up instead of hourly.

But yes time machine is now off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Apple + E works for ejecting both CD/DVDs and Hard drives just fine for me.

I suspect that your eject issue may have to do with the RAID capabilities you spoke of. I had similar issues in 10.2, 10.3 and 10.4 when I had my RAID setup. In the end, I just never ejected them.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reigns surpeme
The drive is just set to Raid 0.

I'll call apple later.

thanks peoples

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.