Linksys Network Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4
I have a PowerBook G4 and I am using a Linksys WRT54G router and my internet is cable. I haven't had any trouble with my wireless network until this past week when I loaded Tiger (I had Panther before) onto my Mac. I can find my network and it will connect but I can't get on the internet. In the network window it tells me that I am connected to the network but it does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the internet. I don't know a lot about networking and I am having trouble figuring it out. I was using DHCP and I didn't have any security set up so its not a password issue. I went through the Diagnostics menu and it fails when it gets to the internet part. Also I can't get into my router's settings to see if something changed, I tried connecting to it wirelessly and hard-wired but Safari and Firefox won't bring it up. I can get on the internet if I go directly through the modem. Could there be a problem with Tiger working with Linksys routers? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
When you connect via Ethernet cable, you get an IP address, but when you try to connect wirelessly, you aren't getting an IP.

I would think that the connection settings are a little off-kilter. An extreme way to fix this would be to perform a hard reset of the linksys box to bring it back to factory stock condition. Then, log into it as you normally would a new unit, and immediately update the Operating System of the unit to the most recent available.

Then, secure your wireless, making sure that you have identical settings on the 'Book and the router. You should be good to go in less than an hour.

Good luck
P

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4
I tried to reset the router and then log into it, but I can't get in. Its strange it just won't log in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
I tried to reset the router and then log into it, but I can't get in. Its strange it just won't log in.

It won't log you into the router? Are you trying the right username/password combination?

On the linksys, the default username is blank, and the password is 'admin'
If it isn't that, then you may have to explore the hard reset option: Hold down the reset button for a full 30 seconds before letting go of it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What IP are you entering into Safari or Firefox to log into your router? Default for the WRT54g is 192.168.1.1. You should then get the login screen and then do what Perry suggested.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4
I tried powering everything down and then back on a couple of times, nothing seems to change.
I double checked that I was typing 192.168.1.1. It won't even bring up the log in screen.
I held the reset button down and it reset the router but I'm still not able to get to the login page. Its crazy, I don't know whats going on with it. The only thing that changed recently is upgrading to Tiger, thats why I thought maybe there was a problem with Tiger and Linksys. Unless its the firmware. Would it help to update that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I have a PowerBook G4 and I am using a Linksys WRT54G router and my internet is cable. I haven't had any trouble with my wireless network until this past week when I loaded Tiger (I had Panther before) onto my Mac. I can find my network and it will connect but I can't get on the internet. In the network window it tells me that I am connected to the network but it does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the internet.

I had this exact issue with my own LinkSys router and got so frustrated with it, I actually physically threw the router in the trash and bought a Belkin.

This has also happened to me at several Cafe's in brooklyn that used these routers and one Cafe even change it because 80% of their customers used Macs, and many had this issue. This was all when I was on Tiger.

I've actually said this 2 or 3 times on this forum, but I obviously can't be sure it's an out-right issue with all macs. The router I had and had touble with, was the WRT54 something or other...?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Interesting as I work with WRT54g's all the time and no such issues. My main router and back up are both WRT54g and not even one lockup in 2 years 24 hours a day. Most stable routers I have ever owned. Mine have the Linux Firmware though. So do all the others I work with.

The newer plain WRT54g routers do not use Linux firmware and are not quite as stable but most work fine that I have messed with.

I will not be around much for the next few days as AT&T DSL here is dead. They blame me, I proved to them it's nothing on my end so the war wages on.

Be back soon. On Dialup to type this.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4
Interesting as I work with WRT54g's all the time and no such issues. My main router and back up are both WRT54g and not even one lockup in 2 years 24 hours a day. Most stable routers I have ever owned. Mine have the Linux Firmware though. So do all the others I work with.

The newer plain WRT54g routers do not use Linux firmware and are not quite as stable but most work fine that I have messed with.

I will not be around much for the next few days as AT&T DSL here is dead. They blame me, I proved to them it's nothing on my end so the war wages on.

Be back soon. On Dialup to type this.

Yeah I've had the router for about a year and have not had any real problems at all until this week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
I'm assuming your actually connecting through this same router some of the time? When you're connected via Ethernet cable, what are the results of an ifconfig?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4
YEAH, GOT IT FIXED! All it took was updating the firmware for the router. I couldn't do it from a mac so my friend brought a PC laptop over, downloaded the firmware and installed it. I started up my mac and it connected instantly. Thanks to everyone for the tips.

Reaction score
Can you tell me what firmware version did you downloaded please? Cause I have a look a like problem. It happens that since I upgraded to leopard the linksys router does not display in my airport...

Thanks in advance

Cheers

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4
Can you tell me what firmware version did you downloaded please? Cause I have a look a like problem. It happens that since I upgraded to leopard the linksys router does not display in my airport...

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Here is a link where you can download the update. Just select the version of the router that you have (the number is on the bottom of the WRT54G) and click the link. I think the only way you can update it is with a PC though, I couldn't get it to work with my Mac.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...0100349B09&displaypage=download#versiondetail

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.