Runing a virtual mac in bootcamp windows

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a mac and booting windows with bootcamp.
What I would like to do is run a virtual mac in a Mac Pro that has booted Windows under bootcamp. It that both phsycially posible and also legally ok under apple's licencing?
Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Apples license states that you cannot run OSX on non Apple hardware.

So you will be running OSX on an Apple machine so that is legit

OP
S
Reaction score
Given I want to run it on a Mac Pro - from what you tell me it seems that it is ok to run the apple OSX. What I need to know then is it prossible to run osx as a virtual machine under windows in that environmentl. If so what software would do it?
Simon

Apples license states that you cannot run OSX on non Apple hardware.

So you will be running OSX on an Apple machine so that is legit

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The only version of OS X that is allowed to be run under virtualization is Mac OS X Server, from what I understand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The only drawback I can spot is that if OSX is running as a guest OS under 32 bit windows, will it be restricted to the memory limitations of windows?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Caveat: I'm not a lawyer so I'm only interpreting the EULA as I see it.

You can't use the "client" version (desktop/"normal" version) in a virtualization product given the following from the EULA:
you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer at a time
I read that as saying that you can only install one copy on one machine and by virtualizing it, you would effectively be installing it twice on the same machine.

The OS X Server EULA is a little more tricky so I'll let you take a look yourself (me not being a lawyer and all).

Perhaps my question (maybe more out of curisoity) is why do you want to do this?

OP
S
Reaction score
I was thinking about using the 64bit version of Win 7 as a host.
What virtualisation software could you use to run the OS X Server? VMware?

Also with regards to having 2 copies of osx on the machine - is it possible just to have win 7 64 bit as a base OS on the mac pro without having OSX installed? I dont know much about macs and I dont know if that is possible. If it were then the virtulalised version of OSX will be the only version running on the machine and as far as I can see be in keeping with apples licencing.

What I need to know is not only if it is legally possible but if it is physically possible and if so will it work reliably. Obviuosly I dont want to go to the expence of aquriring all this hardware and software to find that it is not possilbe.
Simon

The only drawback I can spot is that if OSX is running as a guest OS under 32 bit windows, will it be restricted to the memory limitations of windows?

Reaction score
VM Ware has a Windows version - its more expensive and complicated but I believe it will work as a host for OSX Server. You should check the VM Ware forums for more details. Physically possible, I think so. Not going to venture a guess on the legalities (and I AM a lawyer but haven't reviewed). Still, since you will have only one copy of each on a single machine that might work. Really you'll have to fend for yourself here.

But if this is what you want to do, remember that under virtualization your Windows machine (and deriviatively, your OSX server) are not accessing much of the hardware of your system natively. It makes me wonder why you would do that, rather than have an inexpensive Windows machine around for that purpose? It would likely run faster than what you propose.

Cheers

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I was thinking about using the 64bit version of Win 7 as a host.

So, let me get this straight.... you're buying a Mac to run Windows, but then you'll run the actual OS (what makes a Mac, a Mac) on top of Windows in virtualization?

Seems like a lot of trouble to go to for absolutely no benefit.

What virtualisation software could you use to run the OS X Server? VMware?

Yes, I'd recommend VMWare Workstation on Windows, although you could try VMWare Player (free).

Also with regards to having 2 copies of osx on the machine - is it possible just to have win 7 64 bit as a base OS on the mac pro without having OSX installed?

Sure - you could wipe the hard drive clean, pop the Windows disc in and have at it. It will behave like any other PC at that point. But again, why would you do this? Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it's practical.

It'd be like buying a Ferrari, ripping out the engine and popping in a 4-cylinder, just because you're more familiar with working on less exotic engines.

I dont know much about macs and I dont know if that is possible. If it were then the virtulalised version of OSX will be the only version running on the machine and as far as I can see be in keeping with apples licencing.

What I need to know is not only if it is legally possible but if it is physically possible and if so will it work reliably. Obviuosly I dont want to go to the expence of aquriring all this hardware and software to find that it is not possilbe.
Simon

Possible, yes. Practical or advisable? No. If you like Windows, it suits your needs and the only use you would have for a Mac is to use it as a plaything, then here's what I would do.... buy a decent Windows box (it will likely cost you about 1/4 what you would pay for a Mac Pro). Take the money saved and get yourself a Mac Mini. Then, hook both machines up to a KVM switch, so you don't have to bother with two sets of keyboards and mice.

When you're done, you'll have gotten the exact same capabilities at half the cost and none of the hassle.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you. I really like the mac mini/KVM switch idea. That would suit my needs with much less hastles, costs and no licencing issues. Furthermore I would expect that Apple will be updating the mac mini in the near future. Might be a good opportunity to get one then.
SImon

So, let me get this straight.... you're buying a Mac to run Windows, but then you'll run the actual OS (what makes a Mac, a Mac) on top of Windows in virtualization?

Seems like a lot of trouble to go to for absolutely no benefit.

Yes, I'd recommend VMWare Workstation on Windows, although you could try VMWare Player (free).

Sure - you could wipe the hard drive clean, pop the Windows disc in and have at it. It will behave like any other PC at that point. But again, why would you do this? Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it's practical.

It'd be like buying a Ferrari, ripping out the engine and popping in a 4-cylinder, just because you're more familiar with working on less exotic engines.

Possible, yes. Practical or advisable? No. If you like Windows, it suits your needs and the only use you would have for a Mac is to use it as a plaything, then here's what I would do.... buy a decent Windows box (it will likely cost you about 1/4 what you would pay for a Mac Pro). Take the money saved and get yourself a Mac Mini. Then, hook both machines up to a KVM switch, so you don't have to bother with two sets of keyboards and mice.

When you're done, you'll have gotten the exact same capabilities at half the cost and none of the hassle.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.