• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Converting .mov???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Is there any way whatsoever to cnvert .mov files? My wife uses a pc and my quicktime movies ar impossible to play on her pc. I am about to trash my quicktime 7.0.3. I need to convert them from .mov files. Playing them on her pc as .mov files is not an option, we need to convert them. Preferable to .wmv files. Anything other than .mov would be better than what we are stuck with now. Very disappointed with the new quicktime update.

L

lil

iMovie if you haven't upgraded to QT pro 7.

QT 7 isn't on Windows - yet. If you have Quicktime Pro you can also convert to as standard some basic AVIs. If you get the DivX codec, that's possible too.

Vicky

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
A windows version of quicktime 7.0.3 is available. I am running it on my work PC.

It would be easier to have her down load the windows version.

L

lil

Oh, well it must have been released. Do apologise :flower:

I just don't use PCs so I hadn't noticed hehe.

Vicky

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
My whole point is, I don't want it in quicktime format on the pc. I need something to convert the movies prior to moving them off the mac. I need to be able to upload movies to a website that does not support .mov files as well. Quicktime on the pc is useless. I need to do more than just play them on the wife's pc. i need them playable on family and friends pc's. I HATE QUICKTIME!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
jaster said:
My whole point is, I don't want it in quicktime format on the pc. I need something to convert the movies prior to moving them off the mac. I need to be able to upload movies to a website that does not support .mov files as well. Quicktime on the pc is useless. I need to do more than just play them on the wife's pc. i need them playable on family and friends pc's. I HATE QUICKTIME!!!

I believe in QuickTime you can export to AVI and MPEG.

Reaction score
Is there any way whatsoever to cnvert .mov files? My wife uses a pc and my quicktime movies ar impossible to play on her pc. I am about to trash my quicktime 7.0.3. I need to convert them from .mov files. Playing them on her pc as .mov files is not an option, we need to convert them. Preferable to .wmv files. Anything other than .mov would be better than what we are stuck with now. Very disappointed with the new quicktime update.
You have two choices, they are both free, but one has an annoying message (if you do not register it, which means pay for it). First, is to convert on you Mac using ffmpegX (download is located at http://www.pure-mac.com/video.html#ffmpegx). Your second option is to convert it on her PC using SUPER (download is located at http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html). Use ffmpegX, if and only if you want to convert your file into MPG (this format should play on PC). If you just want it in WMV, put SUPER onto her computer. All you need to do for either one is drag the file you want to convert and tell it what format you want it in and tell it to encode the video.

Reaction score
Honestly, .wmv sucks so much. .mpg, and .mov is the way to go. There must be some user error because .mov files should play just fine in quicktime. Make sure its the latest update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I just checked the freshness date on this thread...*sniff*, yeah.. its expired.

:black:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.