Grey screen w/ a question mark?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1.8.2
I was told by Apple that may harddrive would soon be giving out in a month or so & they quoted me at $160.. I fixed my other Macbook but wanted to have my other as a back up cuz I'm a dj so I changed the hard drive & now I get a grey or white screen with a question mark when I try booting up..How do I fix this? I run a 13" 2009 unibody w/ Mountain Lion 1.8.2 (I bought from iTunes) but have no discs that came with it works perfectly fine w/ the old original hard drive but has the question mark when installing the new one.. the new one is compatable w/ my laptop its actually an upgrade from the previous.. Please help with any info available, thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You need to install the operating system on the new drive.

Redownload 10.8, create a flash boot disk - easy way is Lion DiskMaker. There are plenty of tutorials via google for installing to a new drive.

Or you connect the old drive externally and boot to it, grab SuperDuper or Carboncopycloner and clone the old drive to the new internal drive.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1.8.2
when I install the new hard drive in there are there any buttons I need to hold down? because usually it was either the question mark or a blank screen

Redownload 10.8, create a flash boot disk - easy way is Lion DiskMaker. There are plenty of tutorials via google for installing to a new drive.

Or you connect the old drive externally and boot to it, grab SuperDuper or Carboncopycloner and clone the old drive to the new internal drive.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1.8.2
Thanks!!

it worked I appreciate it!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.