Cant delete corrupt messages in Mail... Help!

Reaction score
This is something I find really annoying. I cant stand the clutter of old messages, so junk mail made a permanent fixture urks me even more.

I work on 2 machines and they are having similar isues

1) A Dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5
I have one message stuck in my inbox, when I select it and click delete, it just turns grey. and if i drag the message to the trash nothing happens. When I classify it as junk mail it disapears (does not go to the junk mail folder), but when I go back to the inbox its there again. This message contains no data, nothing shows in the preview panel and I cant find a file for it on the hardrive (Home / Library / Mail)

2) New 17" macbook pro laptop
On this machine Im having the same problem as above, but with a couple messages. There is also a bunch of messages in the junk mail folder I cant erase.

Does anyone have any ideas here? I really dont want to backup / wipe / restore Mail on both computers.

And with this happening on both my machines, I cant be the only one having this problem...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
IMAP or POP3 mail account?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Try hitting ⌘ +'L' or go under View for the option "Show/Hide Deleted Messages"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also right-click on the account and choose erase delete message (if that's an option)

OP
J
Reaction score
I found a solution at the link you provided... Thank you!

All i had to do was rebuild the mailbox (mailbox / rebuild)

This fixed the problem on my desktop at work. Hopefully it will do the same for my laptop at home, those corrupt emails are in the junk mail folder as well.

Thanks again, you rock!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.