Replacing OS9 in an dual/Mirror G4 (???)

Reaction score
(Sorry for the lie about the OS, but I didn't find OS9 in the Prefix (Is it fair?)

Hello everybody. I'm "brand new" here, and this is my first time in any forum, and by the way I am a little dumb. Sorry for that, and thanx for your patience.

Here's my question: I have a Home Recording Studio with Pro Tools and a lot of plug-ins installed in an old G4 running OS9, that has broken. I'm trying to switch to another Mac I have, a dual/mirror G4 with OS9 and OSX.

I tried to replace the hardrive of the dual G4, for the one of the old Mac, but it couldn't be recognized. I want to do this, because I've loose some of the installers of my plug-ins, then I cant' move all my stuff from the old hardrive to the other one.

The dual G4 recognizes the old hardrive if installed as a secondary one, but obviously (?) the programs can't run this way.

There's any solution for this?. Maybe install another version of OS9?. I've listened that the type of OS installed in a dual G4 is different than the one installed in a single G4 (The OS installed in my old G4 is 9.2.2, and in the dual is 9.2)

Thanks in advance for your HELP!!!

Reaction score
Does the drive refuse to spin? That's not quite clear.

If the drive is working, unlike OS X, once a driver or anything else is installed in OS 9, it's there until you delete it. You could drag your entire OS 9 installation from one computer to the other without losing a byte. Any invisible files copy without a problem, if they are in a visible folder, anyway.

The only problem you'd have is trying to run a system meant for an iMac or laptop, for example, in the mirror machine. But everything else will run as it should.

Reaction score
There's any solution for this?. Maybe install another version of OS9?. I've listened that the type of OS installed in a dual G4 is different than the one installed in a single G4 (The OS installed in my old G4 is 9.2.2, and in the dual is 9.2)
There is no differences in OS 9, whether it is running in a single-processor machine or a dual-processor machine.

You can re-install your version of OS 9 in any computer, if the install disk is a full-retail version that will load any model of computer that can run 9.

That is, an install disk that came with an iBook, for example, will not allow you to install its system in an iMac or a tower machine, and vice versa.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.