Text heavy browser

Reaction score
I like to read websites - from afar. Currently I mainly use Opera for this, or firefox - I use heavy zooming and disable stylesheets.

I'm happy to carry on using Opera - but I need my view settings as defaults. Or to be able to toggle modes quickly.

I have a powerbook and zooming is slow. The redrawing is slow - I like the text to be large and fitted to the browser width / 12 words per line.

Something like Dillo. I don't wish to use a mouse at all.

I used to have my own stylesheet to overide - but I'm guessing there are many others in the same boat - and there may be tools or convenience plugins or scripts available. (numbered links is a killer feature in linx)

I'm probably better off with a console based browser - but you lose flash and the odd pic - I also like tabs or the ability to open a dozen or so pages.

OP
G
Reaction score
Yes sorry about that.

Rephrased:

For people that use the keyboard extensively - and/or are visually impaired which is the best browser or combination of browser and plugins to use?

Ideally supports:
*PowerPc
*Multiple tabs/windows
*Has the ability to display images (though not essential, I'd be happy to open images or flash with 3rd party app)
*Totally controllable and configurable by the keyboard
*Large fonts
*Fast

As I tried to allude in the original post; a console based browser may be better.

OP
G
Reaction score
Opera revisited

Looks like Opera changed some of the shortcuts:

Opera Help: Keyboard Shortcuts

Having said that you can get some of the old ones back.

Essential keyboard shortcuts for opera (IMHO):

*Zoom in/out by large or preset factors
*Change between author and user modes
*Fit to width

For some sites I go to small screen mode and then zoom in heavily.

Another trick is to disable the author's stylesheet and apply my own. Though some sites like Gmail break doing this. Some sites degrade gracefully.

Opera has some sane well thought out modes. And the other browsers could certainly learn a trick or two here.

Anyway despite a few issues; in the main I have something that works for me now. But I'm still interested in how others get around the problem. It's nice to be able to walk between computers and not have to fiddle.

I wonder if anyone uses their browser on the telly and how they get around small fonts. I wonder how Opera works on the Wii with regard to reading normal sites off the telly?

Alot of sites have made inroads, but there are still some poor sites out there!

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the link to readability. Practically it's a little difficult to use. I could hack myself a parser of a bookmarklet, but I really want to avoid the browser going through unnecessary render loops.

I have been using Opera with my own stylesheet, and in works well. I reset the author's styles, some sites don't work and some require the patience to scroll down. Both firefox and opera let you use the spacebar to scroll a page at a time; which is more user friendly.

The only thing in opera I'm missing are a few browser plugins.

If I really can't get on with a page I can switch back to the original styles.

Just to say; I have bad eye site, I'm not partially blind, and still find the web hard going on my eyes. I don't get on with small fonts and white background. I'd like to rely on perhaps the os's tools. I find using a mouse distracting in the way my hand has to move away from the keyboard; you notice the amount of apps that aren't keyboard friendly.

I'm also a programmer/web developer, and if any other developer's are reading this, you'd be wise to try the web out like this for a few days!

Reaction score
Thanks for the link to readability. Practically it's a little difficult to use. I could hack myself a parser of a bookmarklet, but I really want to avoid the browser going through unnecessary render loops.

I have been using Opera with my own stylesheet, and in works well.

.............you realize that these are basically the same thing?

Reaction score
Opera>Preferences>Web Pages there's a 'Page Zoom' setting you can choose as your default zoom value for all tabs......?

Coops

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.