TIME MACHINE:- a seriously overlooked problem

Reaction score
Hi,

As a recent XP to Mac switcher I was amazed by such built in apps like time machine. As a web designer this app alone makes the mac worth it. No more time consuming back ups etc etc or the risk of appearing unpro as you've lost something.

however am I right in thinking No encryption?

I haven't tried Time Machine yet but have read no encryption many times in many reviews.

Is there any security on you ext HD with your files then? A password even.

Please can someone confirm as I don't want another copy of months of my graphic design and web building hard work lying around for someone to take away as easy as fitting a chocolate bar in there pocket.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Of all the systems I have back up over the years. I have not found a need for encryption, because I would never leave a valuable back up (important data) just laying around. There is also a good chance to forget or lose the encryption pass word.

With that said, I have not read anything about encryption and time machine. It appears that you would need a different solution. Like encrypting your data and then doing a back up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
If the original files are encrypted, are they not on the TM disk after the copy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Yep. While regular users don't get any form of encryption, if you have Filevault enabled, you can get all the encryption you need...

However, I'd seriously suggest you work with encrypted DMGs. It's really nice. Just have to create a DMG in Disk Utility, and then mount it whenever you need it. 256bit AES encryption is it?

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for replies

@ Rman

Of all the systems I have back up over the years. I have not found a need for encryption, because I would never leave a valuable back up (important data) just laying around. There is also a good chance to forget or lose the encryption pass word.

With that said, I have not read anything about encryption and time machine. It appears that you would need a different solution. Like encrypting your data and then doing a back up.

isn't this exactly what you do with time machine? IE dedicate a drive to sync with the mac.

You say never left your data lying around. I know people who have never left their front door open but still got burgled.

To me encryption is a necessary form of insurace.

@ goobimama

Are you saying this method could be a good workaround? If so can you explain more. As a recent XP switcher I dont really know much about macs. Quite computer literate though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Launch Disk Utility
- Don't click on anything. Go straight to "New Image" on your toolbar.
- It will show you a box where you can enter the size of the image (it doesn't dynamically resize disk images). 40MB is ideal for important personal documents.
- It will offer you encryption options. Select whatever. Click OK.
- It will then create the image and prompt you to enter your password.
- DO NOT FORGET this password. There's no way other than a super computer to get inside that document.
- Uncheck the "remember pass in keychain" option.

Once the image is created, you can just double click it, it will ask for password, and then mount on the desktop. After that it is a regular old disk image with write ability. Just dump stuff in there, open files, save. When you are done, unmount the image.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks m8 thats great :] appreciated

EDIT:-

Am I right in thinking you would have to have your Time Machine drive connected to your mac always? Could you not hook it up once a week and hit copy or what ever?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Thanks m8 thats great :] appreciated

EDIT:-

Am I right in thinking you would have to have your Time Machine drive connected to your mac always? Could you not hook it up once a week and hit copy or what ever?
No. Yes. No.

No you don't have to have the drive connected always.

Yes you could hook it up once a week.

No you can't hit "copy". There is no copy command. Once it's connected, TM will do a backup within the next hour. You have almost no control over when that happens. It *will* happen, but *when* is up to the machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
No. Yes. No.

No you don't have to have the drive connected always.

Yes you could hook it up once a week.

No you can't hit "copy". There is no copy command. Once it's connected, TM will do a backup within the next hour. You have almost no control over when that happens. It *will* happen, but *when* is up to the machine.

wrong on #3. if you have time machine in your dock, you can right click on it, and hit "back up now"

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, you can click on the big button which says "Time Machine OFF". No more backups after that. When you want to, just click it again to turn it on...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24-inch iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 1 TB HD, 4 GB RAM
I posted this TM problem before, but never got an answer, so I'll try again here. All of a sudden my TM backups stopped working, I'd get an error message and the backup would stop. My destination external drive has become full, so I'm guessing that has something to do with it, but TM had been deleting the oldest backups for a while to make space before the errors started. I even tried deleting some of the older backups manually to make room, but this didn't work. Even deleting several days worth of backups gave me almost no additional disc space. I've since turned off TM and am backing up important files manually to another drive. Anyone have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
wrong on #3. if you have time machine in your dock, you can right click on it, and hit "back up now"

:)
Kudos to you. Thank you! I obviously didn't know that. ^_^

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.