MBP 13 vs 15 resolution

Reaction score
Anyone have any personal experience with this? I just bought a 13 MBP, but the text is fuzzy and hurts my eyes after a while. Is the 1680x1050 15 noticeably sharper regarding text? Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Do you have your 13" MacBook Pro's display resolution set at its "native resolution"...which would be 1280 x 800? If you have the resolution set at any resolution other than this...then yes...it will become "fuzzy" (less clear/sharp).

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Do you have your 13" MacBook Pro's display resolution set at its "native resolution"...which would be 1280 x 800? If you have the resolution set at any resolution other than this...then yes...it will become "fuzzy".

- Nick

@native, messed around with other res's, no good
played with LCD font smoothing option, text smoothing, zoom, enhance contrast

after a few searches, it seems that this is just the way apples are..which is a shame because after 20+ years of using windows I love my new MBP. Except the font rendering. I don't know is it just me? I've been using my MBP for about a week now and I still can't get used to reading on this thing. I know windows users will know what I'm talking about.

My question is, is the MBP 15incher any better than the 13 regarding readability?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
My question is, is the MBP 15incher any better than the 13 regarding readability?
If you have an Apple store or Best Buy close to you, I think the best solution is to go see the difference yourself to make sure it's good enough for you. I think my 15" MBP is sharp enough but I haven't really compared it to a 13" MBP. In general a higher resolution will make everything look more crisp and sharp. I notice this difference every time I use an older computer with a lower resolution or when changing the resolution on a CRT monitor. The biggest disadvantage of a higher resolution is the smaller text if the app you are using can't make the text larger.

OP
W
Reaction score
If you have an Apple store or Best Buy close to you, I think the best solution is to go see the difference yourself to make sure it's good enough for you. I think my 15" MBP is sharp enough but I haven't really compared it to a 13" MBP. In general a higher resolution will make everything look more crisp and sharp. I notice this difference every time I use an older computer with a lower resolution or when changing the resolution on a CRT monitor. The biggest disadvantage of a higher resolution is the smaller text if the app you are using can't make the text larger.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. The thing is I have gone in and looked at the 15in, but they don't have the high res version on display, nor in stock at apple stores, just the 1440.
So I was wondering if anyone here owns a 1680x1050 and can give me some advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Since you've already seen the 1440 15" MBP and if you think it is better than your 13" MBP then the 1680 15" MBP is just going to be sharper. The text will be even smaller but most commonly used apps like web browsers and word processing apps have a zoom feature for the text.

I haven't used the high res 15" MBP so I can't give you an opinion but if you think the 1440 MBP looks better then I think you have your answer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.