OSX 10.6.7 update problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" Standard Spec. iPhone 4 16GB
Hi,

A couple of days ago my Macbook started playing up. I restarted it but when it came to logging on it would show my background but would then freeze with the mouse loading logo.

I tried restoring direct from time machine. The latest backup I had was before 10.6.7. After the restore I restarted and everything was fine. I then searched for updates, installed 10.6.7 and clicked restart. But the problem came back, background, no finder, no icons, loading mouse.

I then installed a fresh copy of Snow Leopard and copied all my stuff from time machine. Again the update showed and I installed it. You can guess what happened. Background, no icons, no finder, mouse loading.

How do I fix this? It will bot into safe mode perfectly. I've fixed the disk and permissions. Is there anything I can do?

If not can I take it to an Apple store and get one of the Mac Genius' to look at it? I've never done that before, so my first question is, does it cost?

Thanks in advance, I'm pulling my hair out here. I was up till 4am yesterday waiting for it to restore only to find it didn't work :mad:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Instead of going with the automatic update, I would try going directly to the 10.6.7 combo update and seeing if that fixes it.
So, restore from your backup again, your backup before 10.6.7, and then download
Mac OS X v10.6.7 Update Combo

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Instead of going with the automatic update, I would try going directly to the 10.6.7 combo update and seeing if that fixes it.
So, restore from your backup again, your backup before 10.6.7, and then download
Mac OS X v10.6.7 Update Combo

Hi.

I restored from the same backup. Now I can't even get in with that. I can boot to safe mode perfectly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
Try a fresh install, then the combo update, then Migration Assistant from your TM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
If the issues keeps coming back after your restore your data, but it doesn't occur in safe mode or before the migration, then it's something in your user profile - a corrupt plist, a login item...

I would create a new user account, manually open the backup file and drag the files you need to from your backup to your hard drive. Work folder by folder, Desktop, Documents, Music, Pictures, Movies... when it comes to the Library folder, only copy over the bare minimum... your Safari folder, your Mail folder, Mozilla bookmarks if you use Firefox. Remember, if you miss anything, you can always go back and get it later, so better safe than sorry the first go around. Reboot, see if the issue persists.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the issues keeps coming back after your restore your data, but it doesn't occur in safe mode or before the migration, then it's something in your user profile - a corrupt plist, a login item...

I would create a new user account, manually open the backup file and drag the files you need to from your backup to your hard drive. Work folder by folder, Desktop, Documents, Music, Pictures, Movies... when it comes to the Library folder, only copy over the bare minimum... your Safari folder, your Mail folder, Mozilla bookmarks if you use Firefox. Remember, if you miss anything, you can always go back and get it later, so better safe than sorry the first go around. Reboot, see if the issue persists.

I tried making a new user but I had the same problem.

Try a fresh install, then the combo update, then Migration Assistant from your TM.

I've installed a fresh copy and updated. It now works. Do you think it's safe to use the migration assistant?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. I've installed all my stuff EXCEPT settings. I restarted and it wouldn't load again.

So I went into safe mode, changed my background and deleted alot of files from my desktop. It now loads (although not as quick as i'd like) but i can deal with it.

Thanks for your help.

Ill post here again if i get any more problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.