Should I get the mac book pro to replace my two desktops?

Reaction score
I am a graphic designer who uses PC for website design and Mac for graphic design - currently I am running two desktops and regularly switch between the two as work demands.

I need access and use all the usual Office 2007 apps - Powerpoint, Word, Excell e.t.c as well as the full range of Adobe products- Fireworks, Dreamweaver, Premier, Photoshop and sometimes Microsoft Visual Studio express.

I am thinking of making my life simpler (or more complicated) and upgrading to the Mac Book Pro 17" screen for on the road work with a wide screen for in office work.

I have heard the Mac Book Pro runs Windows XP and the associated apps with out any problems....

Am I asking too much of the Mac Book Pro and opening up a can of worms by deciding to ditch the two desktops in subsitute for the Mac Book Pro?

Bear in mind often I have 6 different apps open on each platform....

Thoughts from experienced users welcome.

Thank you,

J.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
My opinion... you're better off with what you already have.

A notebook could offer some benefits if you're on the road, but I wouldn't use it to replace anything you already use.

Reaction score
And it sounds like you could easily run out of disk space.
A macbook pro only has limited HDD storage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
I'd stick with the desktops. Two different machines for two completely different work flows sounds very sensible to me.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I am a graphic designer who uses PC for website design and Mac for graphic design - currently I am running two desktops and regularly switch between the two as work demands...

Why have two computers and two different OS when you can do the same thing on both?

Only reason why I have a PC is for gaming. I do all my work on an iMac and when I need to work on the go I bring my 13" MBP with me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Why have two computers and two different OS when you can do the same thing on both?
This:

Two different machines for two completely different work flows sounds very sensible to me.
Since these computers are used for work, it isn't smart to put all of your eggs in one basket... so to speak.

Just because you can run both operating systems on one machine doesn't mean it's the best thing to do.

It might not be a completely bad idea if he augmented his setup with a notebook. He could use Windows and OS X on the notebook, while keeping his desktops as they are.

However, getting rid of two fully functional and well working computers and replacing them with one isn't the most pragmatic choice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.