I Brought my Mac To Life!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 + Mac Pro 8-core 6Gb
I've suffered severe loss of performance for about 6 months or more, searching for a reason why so much time is lost on beachballs, unable to click on anything. All this happens immediately from boot, having to wait for 10 - 30 minutes for the menubar or dock to appear, with applications bobbing for ages, and then either refusing to start, sat static, or the little blue light will eventually come on, so it's usable, but just by right-or-left-clicking would freeze the dock, until it's ready to respond. Just typing anything, such as this text, I've had to wait unlimited minutes for the cursor to start again and let me continue.

The most annoying bit is having extreme pauses playing music in iTunes - from < 1 second to minutes of silence. All beachballs. A test with radio instead of playing stored MP3s gave me the answer.

Remember how many factors there can be in failing to respond. I thought it was corrupted software, or waiting for remote hosts on LAN or WAN. I thought two 2.8GHz Xeons, 100Gb of free disk space and 6GB of FB-DIMMS on my Mac Pro on the latest Snow would be sufficient. Theoretically the system was working, if you're content to wait for so long to get anything done. Nothing lost, apart from time, accompanied by fury.

Downloading SMART Utility is all I needed. With not much detail on the status; just FAILING was enough. The hang-ups made it all clear. Verifying the disk, and continually repairing permissions did no good. I wish a simple verify would include some more detail, rather than just OK. I think Apple would do themselves some good instead of letting their userbase suffer loss.

I fired up Time Machine to keep 24-hour policy switched on while looking for a new disk to buy. I tried restoring over the original disk with exactly the same attributes. Now, restoring the backup over a fresh disk has made a snappy, swift machine, without one single beachball in sight. Wondering what to do with the two-year-old bad disk, after a reformat. The next time I see a beachball, I know what I'll be doing

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Wondering what to do with the two-year-old bad disk, after a reformat. The next time I see a beachball, I know what I'll be doing

If you have a good set of precision screwdrivers, disassembly of the mechanism is always a fun hobby. I love the huge and powerful magnets inside. They make great toys.

Congrats on finding the root cause and getting back to normal again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've suffered severe loss of performance for about 6 months or more, searching for a reason why so much time is lost on beachballs, unable to click on anything.

Once you realized that this was an ongoing performance issue (rather than waiting 6+ months)...you could have posted here ASAP!:) We hear about this sort of problem all the time (beach-balls, apps taking forever to load, slow response to mouse clicks, etc.).

Sure you would have gotten some initial advice to:

- check the HD with disk utility
- repair permissions
- reformat & reinstall the OS
- etc.

But some of the suggestions would have been..."bad hard drive".

In any case..congrats on figuring it out...too bad you didn't post sooner...maybe we could have saved a bunch of frustration.:) It's amazing how a faulty HD can slow down a super fast 8-core Mac Pro!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.