iPhone - worth getting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel (Aluminium) iMac - 2.0 Ghz
Hi There,

I'm am highly considering getting an iPhone - because, well.. it's pretty awesome!

But there are few things that are holding me back and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind clearing these up for me...

• I always have my phone in my pocket - so I worry about the iPhone getting scratched up with loose change, keys etc that might also be in my pocket - is this an issue?
  • Is the iPhone heavy and bulky (stick out) inside your average pocket of jeans/trousers?
  • How is it for using the internet - has 3G really made a lot of difference or is it slow?
  • Has anyone really missed Bluetooth?
  • Is receiving picture messages difficult? I heard you have to follow an internet link or something - can't you just get them in your message?
  • Will i get mugged if someone sees me with an iPhone? lol

Many thanks!

Reaction score
i always have my iphone in my pocket and no scratch at all, although i wouldn't put it in the same pocket as my keys.

it's not heavy.

3G is ofcourse faster than EDGE, how much faster? it depends in your area. some people experience 2-5 times faster than EDGE, sometimes it seems like there isn't much difference. Also, 3G is not available in some areas so your iPhone might use EDGE most of the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
1. I always keep mine in my pocket as well, though I tend not to put anything else in the pocket with me. While the screen is pretty scratch resistant, the plastic back isn't, so keep that in mind when deciding which pocket to put it in.

2. The iPhone is extremely slim, so unless you wear ridiculously tight pants, you won't even notice it's there. I remember when I first got it I had to keep checking to make sure it hadn't fallen out.

3. 3G is pretty fast, much faster than EDGE. Though this really depends on your location as some parts of the country have better 3G coverage. AT&T has a map on its website depicting its coverage area for 3G, check to see if you fall under that area.

4. Not sure what you mean by missing Bluetooth. The iPhone has it, though you can only use it for headsets and not for transferring files.

5. I personally don't send or receive MMS messages, so I can't give you any details about it. However, I hear there are several workarounds for sending MMS messages.

6. It really depends on where you live, but yes, there is always that possibility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
But there are few things that are holding me back and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind clearing these up for me...

I always have my phone in my pocket - so I worry about the iPhone getting scratched up with loose change, keys etc that might also be in my pocket - is this an issue?
No - not at all.
Is the iPhone heavy and bulky (stick out) inside your average pocket of jeans/trousers?
Not for me.
How is it for using the internet - has 3G really made a lot of difference or is it slow?
No comment, I have the original iPhone.
Has anyone really missed Bluetooth?
It has bluetooth.. but I do miss sending files and contacts occasionally.
Is receiving picture messages difficult? I heard you have to follow an internet link or something - can't you just get them in your message?
There's no real MMS support - but no-one I know really uses it anyway.
Will i get mugged if someone sees me with an iPhone? lol
Don't be an idiot and flash it around on dark street corners at midnight and you should be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I always have my phone in my pocket - so I worry about the iPhone getting scratched up with loose change, keys etc that might also be in my pocket - is this an issue?

I use this case: Welcome to SwitchEasy
And it rocks! :) Both my wife and I have had a lot of compliments, she has the Monstera color and I have the Arctic (clear). When I put it in my pocket, I make sure it's by itself... this is an expensive piece of equipment, no use taking too many chances with it.

Has anyone really missed Bluetooth?

I don't miss it at all.. I use it for my earpiece...

Is receiving picture messages difficult? I heard you have to follow an internet link or something - can't you just get them in your message?

Yeah it's really annoying, I have a couple people SMS me some photos and it's kind of a pain to get them. I really hope they do something about that in the near future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16 Ghz Core 2, Apple PowerMac G5 Quad, iPhone 3G, Ipod Classic 160 gig.
Get one ......

I've had several "smart phones" and I've got more use out of my iPhone than any of my previous phones ..

I have an invisibleSHIELD on my iphone and it's great, adds no extra weight to the phone but stops it getting marked ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.14ghz || 120GB || IPHONE 3G 8GB JBken 4GB RAM || <3
Get it.

I went from a Blackberry Curve to the iPhone and will never go back, EVER.

In fact, my iPhone got stolen yesterday. Of course I bought the 3G :)

You honestly get everything you need, and more from this phone. MMS is hardly something THAT necessary; it is a sacrifice you should be willing to make, especially since there is a workaround if you really need to recieve/send a picture at any specific time.

Get it.

Get it.

Just my $0.02 ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb
I decided on a HTC Touch Pro like 2 seconds ago. And after hearing Gadgets from CNET TV. I'm already changing my mind. I so hate this T________T

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.