newbie question

Reaction score
So I know how to make a website using iweb but what I dont know is how to make and use a domain name. I want to register Have my name as the website. i.e. myname.com but I have no idea how to register it. I have googled ‘register a domain name’ and can go down that route but do mac not have some way of registering a domain name?

OP
G
Reaction score
Ok so what I will do is register the domain name and then get iweb to host it. Is that correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Just because you have a domain name does not mean you have hosting. You should go with GoDaddy or a similar service and purchase hosting from them as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
iweb.com is a site host. The iWeb Software is an Apple tool to make websites. I don't recommend Apple iWeb, as it makes a mess out of everything. If you aren't going to write your own code, use RapidWeaver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just because you have a domain name does not mean you have hosting. You should go with GoDaddy or a similar service and purchase hosting from them as well.

He might have meant iweb.com

They host. I took a quick peek. I think they're a bit cheaper then GoDaddy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He might have meant iweb.com

They host. I took a quick peek. I think they're a bit cheaper then GoDaddy.

That could what he was talking about as well. Not likely though because he was talking about the iWeb program in the first post.

OP
G
Reaction score
I see thanks. I was going to use www.doster.com to host and register as I hear doing it with iweb is rubbish. So I will register and get it hosted here and then create the code on rapid weaver and upload it. Does this sound correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see thanks. I was going to use www.doster.com to host and register as I hear doing it with iweb is rubbish. So I will register and get it hosted here and then create the code on rapid weaver and upload it. Does this sound correct?

Yes that sounds fine. I would buy hosting from them though and get a free domain from that.

Products - Hosting - Hosting Plans - Dotster

You need domain + hosting. One without the other does not work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're still not understanding me! iweb.com is fine, it's the software that I said to stay away from. iweb.com will work OK.

Look over the prices for iweb.com, doster.com, GoDaddy, and maybe some others. Then decide what works best for you.

My suggestion is use RapidWeaver to construct your main pages (software is $50 US) and then, if you need to add some finishing touches, use TextWrangler (free) to add some HTML code and then use Fetch (demo available) to FTP it to your site.

If what you get with RapidWeaver is fine, great! Use it, but I suggest viewing the page in at least one web browser (2 is preferable) to make sure everything looks fine. The way it looks in RapidWeaver is not always how it will look to a web browser.

I hope this makes sense! If not, don't hesitate to ask! Everyone on this forum is here to help you!

OP
G
Reaction score
yes that makes sense now thank you. I am going to do it tonight and get my web page up and running. Cant wait! its only a fun page but hey will be cool :) probably expect some more technical questions from mw in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano your the one getting everyone confused by bringing iweb.com into this. We were strictly talking about the program. Haha. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes that makes sense now thank you. I am going to do it tonight and get my web page up and running. Cant wait! its only a fun page but hey will be cool :) probably expect some more technical questions from mw in the future.

Okay. Are you planning to download RapidWeaver?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought he meant the web host. Sorry. Anyway, it is an option for hosting!

OP
G
Reaction score
Yes I think I will download it... Or may just use textwrangler to start and get bits of code from here and there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TextWrangler is just a text editor, which means you'd be writing your own code. If that works it's okay, but as a beginner you may want to stick with RapidWeaver.

OP
G
Reaction score
OK so I now have a domain name and www.doster .com is hosting it. Only problem is is that I cant manage to edit the index.html file. This means I cant personalise anything. Could someone please tell me how to do this in very simple terms?

OP
G
Reaction score
ipod yes I do agree with you. But under the file management at dtster.com I am unable to add my own html code. there is no option for it. please help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't understand why you need to if you agree that it's best to get RapidWeaver. Can you post a picture of it? Maybe somebody can figure it out that way. But please try to explain why you want to do that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.