apple mac virgin!!!!

Reaction score
hi all i have got my hand on a Apple Macbook 2.2GHz dual core

ok here my problem the hard drive has gone cant get data off it .

i have a new 320gb hard drive and i have the disk i believe mite have come with it but not 100% sure i want to restore the software back on but i boot it and it just hangs on the apple logo with the "cog"

any help would be great thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
ok here my problem the hard drive has gone cant get data off it .

This could mean you have a dead/crashed hard drive. If this is the case:

- you will not be able to boot from it
- you will not be able to extract any data from it
- you will not be able to install a new copy of the OS on it
- and if the HD is dead...that's very possibly why you're getting the "spinning cog"

If the HD is dead/crashed...it needs to be replaced.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. It wasn't very clear in your 1st post...but did you already replace the MacBook's internal HD with the 320gig HD you mentioned?. If so...did you format it with Disk Utility.? Regarding the Install disk you have. Need more info about it:

- What color is it (gray/silver or another color)?
- What OS version is it?
- Where did you get it (with the computer or not)?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
First off let's make sure we are using the right DVD. If it is not right then the machine won't boot no matter what we do. Can you describe the DVD? Including whatever is printed on it.

If you are pretty sure it is the right one you can insert the DVD and hold down the Option key immediately after you hold down the option key. If all goes well you should see a screen where you can use the mouse or arrow and return keys to select the DVD.

OP
C
Reaction score
hi i have now put it in a external dvd drive and i have got it to boot now doing a clean install does this mean my drive is bad or firmware ?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It might be a bad CD/DVD drive. I would try several other CD/DVDs though before I reached that conclusion.

That can also happen if the DVD is dirty/scratched or if the lens is dirty. Some drives are a little more tolerant of this than others. You might try giving the problem drive a couple of short blasts of compressed air in case the lens is dirty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.