Did you get your new iPad yet?

Reaction score
My previous iPad was the original so i can't comment on the difference with the 2, but the upgrade from the original in nothing short of amazing. Had I realized the 2 was that much faster I would have upgraded sooner. The display is very crisp and clear with books, pics or any video.
So long story short, upgrading from the original is leaps and bounds the best thing you can do.
The other feature I really like that is probably on the iPad 2 is the voice keyboard search. Really liking that.

The speed of everything and the retina display is just blowing me away coming from an original iPad.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The speed of everything and the retina display is just blowing me away coming from an original iPad.

Pretty awesome to hear that!:)

I compared the speed difference between the iPad 1 and the iPad 2 last year at my local Apple Store (right after the iPad 2 was launched)...and you could definitely see speed differences...especially when scrolling quickly thru long complex webpages.

So now add the retina display (and the cameras)...and I'm sure going from an iPad 1 to the "New iPad" (iPad 3)...is quite an upgrade!:)

Enjoy your "New iPad"!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Here is a perfect comparison of the new iPad and iPad 2: https://twitter.com/#!/Ihnatko/status/180865456389885954/photo/1

The display resolution is certainly hands-down the best out there. My only gripe is the color rendition. Some of the hues seem less accurate and realistic than the ipad2. The color gamut seems a bit on the cool side. I wish apple would allow contrast and hue adjustments. Comparing colors to my calibrated monitor on my MacBook pro, I have noticed less realistic, natural colors , especially in greens and yellows. Sometimes there seems to be a pale green hue in underexposed images. Images taken in good lighting don't suffer from this. They definitely used a more aggressive routine. This all might be petty to a lot of folks but I am a stickler for color accuracy. Reds and blues are very vibrant but yellows and greens are muted.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Went today to Best Buy on Lunch break and got myself the new iPad 3. Happy Now. Only had to wait in line for 20 minutes. Mainly because they were trying to sell the 9 people in front of me stuff they didn't need. >_>" I pre ordered one from Apple too but not coming until April. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
My previous iPad was the original so i can't comment on the difference with the 2, but the upgrade from the original in nothing short of amazing. Had I realized the 2 was that much faster I would have upgraded sooner. The display is very crisp and clear with books, pics or any video.
So long story short, upgrading from the original is leaps and bounds the best thing you can do.
The other feature I really like that is probably on the iPad 2 is the voice keyboard search. Really liking that.

Unfortunately...the voice feature is not available on the iPad 2 even with the recent update....

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Thanks for that write up Skierx.

Reaction score
Another 1st Gen ----> 3rd Gen iPad upgrader here. I'm VERY impressed with the iP3 so far. Heat does seem to be a bit much when watching video for an extended time. Just sitting here reading a book or Olive Tree Bible program doesn't leave me noticing it much.

I can potentially see why some wouldn't see such a major improvement going from 2G to 3G, but moving from the original to 3G is HUGE. Camera. Retina screen. much quicker response time with the improved processor. And when people talk about the size difference between the Gen 2 and Gen 3, I can only think about the difference in feel between the Gen 1 and Gen 3. The Gen 3 feels much more refined, IMO.

I'm really liking this thing!
mathews_thumbsup.gif

Reaction score
new iPad

Went to the Apple Store in Altamonte Springs, FL over lunch Friday (3/16). No waiting. Bought the 16 GB, Verizon 4G version. They were very helpful getting it set up and synched with my MBP 15. When I went to the Verizon store to activate the 4G feature, they received 20 units of the new iPad and were sold out at 3 pm.

I also have an iPad2 synched with my wife's notebook that is full of games for a toddler almost in kindergarten, wifi only.

I do not notice a speed difference with wifi between the iPad2 and 3. The display is better and noticeable, 25% is my guess. As others have stated, the 3 does run warmer.

I needed the 4G and personal wireless hotspot feature of the 3. I have a 10mb download/1mb upload wifi system and the 4G feature is almost as fast but a tad slower.

I have a DSLR camera so I have yet to take any photos or video with the iPad yet.

So far, I am happy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 500gb
I noticed the rounded edges, it seems more like the design of the original iPhone up to the iPhone 3GS. I have become very used to the flat edges like on the iPhone 4/4S, and previous iPads. I wonder why they did that? It definitely takes getting used to.

C

chas_m

Coming from the iPad 1, for me the new iPad is much thinner and lighter. I haven't noticed the heat at all because I put it in one of those original Apple covers from the iPad 1 that I still had. Have not played with the back camera AT ALL, the front camera is still "crappy" but it works great for FaceTime.

Reaction score
anyone have the grandfathered att unlimited plan and how did you activate it? I'm still looking hit three best buys today and all sold out. i'm stuck waiting for bb since i have gift cards and its first come first served with no ordering allowed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
Got my black 32GB wifi iPad (3/HD) yesterday! This is my first iPad and I am already addicted to it.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
The new screen is fantastic. My iPad 1 was my primary surfing device, and I spend hours using it. The screen on the 3 is soooo much better, my eyes feel much fresher after an extended session. Since I also use my iPad to read books, this is a big benefit from my perspective.

Reaction score
Got mine! This is my first ipad:) I'm pretty impressed so far. Haven't noticed any problems with it being too hot so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , iPad , MBP, iPod
I got my iPad (3) on the day they were released here in Australia. Walked in no cues nothing as here the shops did not tell any one when they would have them for sale. ( this is in Geelong Victoria) Now have been using it for 10 days and I love it, coming from the ipad one. It is fast, like the new screen it helps with reading a lot. Went over the road to a neighbors to show it to her about 50-60 meters away. As I am going through a few things I realise that I was on the internet, my internet. The original could not do that. The camera takes very good photos at 5 MP. The only thing that was a little disappointing that the forward pointing camera can only be used with Face time. I would have liked to be able to use it with Skype. All in all I think it is a wonderful product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 500gb
The glass feel different. Definitely smoother, is that because it is new? I don't remember if my original iPad felt the same way at first. I don't use a protector because it never leaves my room.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
I went to the local Apple Store and arrived about 50 minutes before they opened. I was roughly the 20th person in line (people tend to wait until the last minute in Alaska), but by the time the doors opened, there was probably 80-100 people total. I was in and out by 8:30am with my brand new 32GB WiFi+LTE iPad. Compared to the iPad2 (which I sold for $340 that afternoon), I did not notice the difference in either weight or thickness, although the Belkin hard case I used with the iPad 2 will not fit onto the new iPad. I have noticed the new iPad getting warm on occasion, but never to the point where it was uncomfortable or concerning in any way. My display has had none of the light leak or yellowing issues some people have reported either.

I did have to go to Best Buy later that afternoon for an unrelated matter, and they literally had stacks of iPads still available for sale. From all accounts, Apple and retailers worked to make sure that stores wouldn't run into prolonged shortages like there have been with prior iPad launches.

C

chas_m

The only thing that was a little disappointing that the forward pointing camera can only be used with Face time. I would have liked to be able to use it with Skype.

Who told you that? It's wrong.

Skype works fine with the front camera.

Reaction score
Just picked up my iPad (3rd Gen) today. So far I really like the display, but besides that, the rest looks pretty close to the same. A very big step for the display, otherwise not necessarily a needed upgrade from the iPad 2. My personal opinion.

May God bless.

Ed;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.