wireless network connection trouble

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2010
I just replaced my old macbook pro with a new one and now I cannot log onto the network. It is password protected (WPA2) and I have the password (that used to work). There are all kinds of settings in the Airport "Advanced" section that I have no idea about.

Reaction score
does it connect to any other wireless network? I would probably drive it down to a coffee place or some place where there is WiFi to check if it is the mac or the router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5 - Dual 2.0 - 6GB Ram
do you / your network also use MAC address filtering? That is how our network at work is protected (WPA2 and MAC Filtering), at home I only use MAC filtering.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just replaced my old macbook pro with a new one and now I cannot log onto the network. It is password protected (WPA2) and I have the password (that used to work). There are all kinds of settings in the Airport "Advanced" section that I have no idea about.

If you're using a router, look in the router manual and find out how to reset it back to factory default. Usually, most routers have a small access hole that you can push the end of a straightened paper clip into and hold for 10 seconds or so to reset. But before you do, access the router setup menu (see manual) and write down the settings that you're currently using.

After resetting, key in the settings (options) and a new pass phrase for WPA2. Make sure you have the SID broadcast turned on and do not use MAC filtering. If you still can't log on to your wifi network using the new pass phrase and settings, go into your System Preferences, Network, select Airport, (make sure you have the location set as Automatic) and check to see if your network name is listed under "Network Name".

Click "Advanced". Select the Airport tab at the top. Place a check in the box that says: Remember Networks that this computer has joined.

Now select the TCP/IP tab. You should be using DHCP.

Let us know if this works for you.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Perhaps before u do the Router reset have a look here to see if the router address is showing up and it is set to using DHCP;

Click for full size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
I think everyone covered what needs to be done.

Look at my first attachment, in the upper right corner does it look like that? If so, then you're connecting to the router just not getting out beyond the router to the internets.
The part I want you to look at is between the Bluetooth symbol and speaker.
attachment.php

Then we have to go under Open network Preferences and see if you're getting an ip address.
Click on the Airport symbol above and hit Network Preferences.
You should see something like this:
12651d1271720191-wireless-network-connection-trouble-screen-shot-2010-04-19-7.30.34-pm.jpg

If it says something about getting its own IP address then for some reason your router didn't give that machine an IP.

PS - anyone know of a freeware app that lets me easily put arrows and stuff on graphics?
I used to use Paint.net on Windows. Seashore (based on GIMP) doesn't really do this very easily.

Screen shot 2010-04-19 at 7.26.53 PM.jpg

Screen shot 2010-04-19 at 7.30.34 PM.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
just use photoshop....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
well just get GIMP it's a free Photoshop alternative.

I have GIMP and Seashore - based off GIMP but designed for Mac. Neither one has an easy arrow type graphic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
I have GIMP and Seashore - based off GIMP but designed for Mac. Neither one has an easy arrow type graphic.

Well if you're not sure how to use GIMP and can't make an arrow, I'd suggest using the program that 6String said....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C

chas_m

If you can find Photoshop for $200, you should buy it immediately ... it retails for more than double that price.

But seriously, suggesting Photoshop so that someone can draw an arrow? That's like suggesting someone by a tank to go to the 7-11.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
If you can find Photoshop for $200, you should buy it immediately ... it retails for more than double that price.

But seriously, suggesting Photoshop so that someone can draw an arrow? That's like suggesting someone by a tank to go to the 7-11.

I have lived in some neighborhoods that the tank would be a logical option;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.