• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple to hold media event on 10/20

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That's the catch. Nothing is ever perfect. And it just takes real talent to improve on the things that seem good to most of us at the time.
Agreed. Trust me, there are some needs changes. I have some weird graphical issues sometimes (random white boxes on screen that eventually go away) and every once in a while, when I log in, my menubar is transparent (if I open a window, it fixes itself). Those could be fixed with a 10.6.x update but it demonstrates my point - nothing is ever perfect.

I think it's the same with me and the food. Nothing I ever cook I am totally happy with.
Hahaha, if you experienced my cooking, you'd think yours was perfect. Trust me. :)

"Reserved 10 20" mystery product (Probably OSX 10.7)
Doubt it. I don't think Apple is going to put up a public forum for software that is likely still a year away. ;)

Reaction score
Are you being serious?

I posted late at night. Do you think I'm being serious?

In all seriousness- if Apple is streaming this event like it did the iPod event in September- where is the link? The iPod event had a link 24 hours before the event on Apple's website. This event does not. I'm just saying- don't tease the puppy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The Apple online store (US, Aus and probably others too) is down now. Something is up. New products I hope :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yeah that just appeared there on the site. Like 10 minutes ago it was not there.

[edit]
Live from Apple's 'Back to the Mac' event -- Engadget
apple-btm-event-01-top.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I posted late at night. Do you think I'm being serious?

In all seriousness- if Apple is streaming this event like it did the iPod event in September- where is the link? The iPod event had a link 24 hours before the event on Apple's website. This event does not. I'm just saying- don't tease the puppy.

It's been on their homepage all morning...I'm not even sure what to say to you. The idea you're putting out there is beyond ridiculous.

If Apple wasn't holding an event today, why in the world would they send out invitations to the media?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Where is iPhoto 11 Cloud edition?? :D

I was dared to post the above! :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Well, it's over. What does everyone think? The new Air is a for sure improvement over old but when Jobs said all Macbooks will be like this down the road, where does that leave the MBP? No FW? How would they make an MBP that thin and keep it with a Core i7 CPU and pro features?

Lion looks great for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Just got done watching.

Not exactly sure I understand the point of that new function of selecting which programs you want in the ipad-like pop-up.

Also, not a huge fan of mission control. Maybe I'll get used to it, though. Seems too cluttered for my taste.

Looking forward to getting the app store, however.

Reaction score
It's been on their homepage all morning...I'm not even sure what to say to you. The idea you're putting out there is beyond ridiculous.

If Apple wasn't holding an event today, why in the world would they send out invitations to the media?

Oh never mind. The event is already over.

I did not see any indication of an event on Apple's website at all this morning- up until about 10:30 my time.

Let's move on, shall we?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually I thought Mission Control was great. A lot more control and the Full Screen part should stop all the OSX haters from saying when they get a new Mac, where is Full Screen? :D

Reaction score
Just got done watching.

Not exactly sure I understand the point of that new function of selecting which programs you want in the ipad-like pop-up.

Also, not a huge fan of mission control. Maybe I'll get used to it, though. Seems too cluttered for my taste.

Looking forward to getting the app store, however.

I'm totally waiting for the Mac App Store.

Everything else looks like a charlie-foxtrot, but I guess it'll take some getting used to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Well, it's over. What does everyone think? The new Air is a for sure improvement over old but when Jobs said all Macbooks will be like this down the road, where does that leave the MBP? No FW? How would they make an MBP that thin and keep it with a Core i7 CPU and pro features?

Lion looks great for sure.

I really like the new air, and the price point is a vast improvement. For a light user who wants full functionality, I think this would make a perfect everyday computer, where I wouldn't have considered it as such before, but rather a secondary pc. In fact, this is much better suited to the business people who champion it, due to it's size.

I used to think the ipad would cannibalize air sales, but now the air seems to have found a nice niche, and I wouldn't mind owning one, myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Agreed. They keep adding layers and layers to the OS.

Now we have the Dock, Command-Tab, Expose, the "Flick" gesture, and Mission Control.

When your OS needs five different ways to switch between programs, you're doing something wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66GHz, 4-GB DDR3, 500-GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Thank God my current MBA isn't superseeded by the new MBA!

My current MBA has 2.13GHz C2D 128GB SSD, and only outspecced by the resolution(not much of a gripe since minor), graphic card(debatable), battery(I'm always close to a power source with my laptops) and the inclusion of an SD card slot(with my camera kits, the SD card reader is never far away). I consider processing power my current MBA to be the primary reason why I got it, and the new MBAs only tops at 1.86GHz. I also consider MBA as mobile portable lightweight(both in the sense of weight and application usage).

What I would be adding to my current arsenal of notebooks will be the higher end 11.6" MBA! Couple that with the current 2.13GHz C2D I have now, I'm set to go!

The big question is, will the Apple Store in Melbourne I'm going to today/tomorrow have immediate stock of the new 11.6" MBA? Please, please, please, please be there!

Oh, I was partially right about the Instant On prediction I made on the new device. My prediction of dual OS(one instant On, the other standard MAc OS X) didn't pan out though.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It looked like you can do it all from Mission Control. Maybe everything else will go away down the line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Agreed. They keep adding layers and layers to the OS.

Now we have the Dock, Command-Tab, Expose, the "Flick" gesture, and Mission Control.

When your OS needs five different ways to switch between programs, you're doing something wrong.

I think it's a good thing (and a Mac-way of doing things) when you have several ways of accomplishing a task. Whatever your preference, there's a way to do it. :)

It looked like you can do it all from Mission Control. Maybe everything else will go away down the line.

That could also be true, but I still believe Apple supports multiple ways of accomplishing a task and Mission Control/Command-Tab/Exposé etc. etc. will be some of those options. Only time will tell for sure, though. ;)

I'm extremely happy with the new app purchasing process. Instant. Gotta love that! Lion looks like a winner!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm so disappointed in the battery life of the 11". it pretty much removed energy to spin the hdd, has smaller screen, more efficient processor, but only 5 hours?? Come on!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.