desktop control

Reaction score
Is there a way to partition out the desktop so that a particular section could contain files or folders that are not influenced by sort? I'd like a set of files and or folders to stay visible in one section of the desktop without moving when I sort the desktop.

Thanks,

Leicam13

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not a subject for our "Lounge" forum. Your post was moved here to the "OS X Operating System" forum. Please read our forum descriptions before posting.

Your question:

Placing numerous files and folders on the desktop is not recommended. If you wish to sort files and folders by type, you can always open the Finder, click on your user name, and then create named folders for your files. Name them by subject, date, or whatever. You can even create sub-folders subordinate to the parent folder which will allow for better sort and find ability.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you chscag for your reply, however you didn't exactly answer the question but offered an opinion on how I use the desktop. And thank you for the refresher 101 course on the fact that a computer can create folders and sub folders even going so far as to remind me that I can name them and then they will be alphabetized for easy retrieval. For others reading this thread: the question has not been answered. A simple "it cannot be done" would suffice.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think you missed the point, but perhaps my answer wasn't clear enough...

Take a look at this article which describes how to use "Mission Control", perhaps that will provide a solution to what you're trying to do. And next time, skip the implied sarcasm if you wish to get answers in these forums.

Here is the LINK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Is there a way to partition out the desktop so that a particular section could contain files or folders that are not influenced by sort?

No. But if you have Lion, maybe Mission Control can sort of do what you want, as suggested above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.