Samsung Products 3 Strikes

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well this is a bit of a success story post...and a bit of a rant!;)

Firstly...if I can avoid it...Samsung products (of any sort) will no longer be crossing the threshold of my home!!! Why?...3 strikes & you're out!;)

- Strike #1: Samsung monitors & Macintosh computers don't seem to "play well"...as reported by many knowledgeable folks here on Mac-Forums.
- Strike #2: I HATE my Samsung 52" big screen plasma TV (ghost images & image retention issues).
- Strike #3: Couple weeks ago I purchased a wireless Samsung laser printer (finally trying to go wireless with the home printer). After hours & hours of trying to get it to work...nothing but frustration!!!:( Had to return it (more frustration)...and yes...it was supposed to be Macintosh compatible.

Success Story: Yesterday I received a Brother wireless laser printer I ordered...and set it up this morning. I followed the instructions to the letter (just like with the Samsung printer)...and it worked the first time! 15-20 minutes of setup...and I'm printing wirelessly!!!:) No more walking up & down the basement stairs (where the wireless router is located) to pick up my print jobs!:)

Yeyyy,:)

- Nick

p.s. FYI...it is a Brother HL-2280DW laser printer. It prints, scans, and photocopies...AND is does duplex (two-sided) printing. Got it for $99 bucks (free shipping).:)

p.p.s. Yes I realize that there are MANY folks out there that have had success with Samsung products (somebody has to...otherwise Samsung would be out of business)!;) I'm only reporting the unfortunate experiences I have had.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I will say out of all the big screen installations we have had more Samsungs with failed power supplies and when you open them up its most always bargain basement caps that are swollen or leaking. But the picture does look nice when working just prefer Panasonics Plasmas for the best picture but if there is no budget then the new
Elite from Pioneer/Sharp team is without a doubt eye candy with a heathy price tag
expensive and more expensive in other words a 60 and 70 are the only sizes currently.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Back in my military days stationed in Korea, Samsung was top of the line and made right there. Never had a problem with any of their products. Nowadays, everything that Samsung makes is outsourced to China and other third world countries. Very poor quality control.

Having said that, I've got two Samsung monitors here that work just great.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Having said that, I've got two Samsung monitors here that work just great.

I can't remember exactly why a bunch of folks on Mac-Forums were writing that they had problems with Samsung products & computers. It was either resolution issues when plugging the Samsung monitor directly into the computer (laptop & Samsung external display)...or it was problems plugging in a Mac-mini or laptop into a big screen Samsung TV...and having problems.

I just remember a bunch of threads where folks were having issues with Samsung & their computers (more than other brands).

- Nick

p.s. Ahn yohng hah sae yoh (Anya haseyo)...2nd version easier to pronounce.;)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
+1 on the Brother Wireless Printer

I have a HL-2170w that works quite well (other than a temporary problem with drivers during the Lion update).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't remember exactly why a bunch of folks on Mac-Forums were writing that they had problems with Samsung products & computers. It was either resolution issues when plugging the Samsung monitor directly into the computer (laptop & Samsung external display)...or it was problems plugging in a Mac-mini or laptop into a big screen Samsung TV...and having problems.

I just remember a bunch of threads where folks were having issues with Samsung & their computers (more than other brands).

- Nick

p.s. Ahn yohng hah sae yoh (Anya haseyo)...2nd version easier to pronounce.;)

The sad part is at one time I thought they made the screens for Apple now
I believe its LG.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And for another strike, Nick, never ever buy a Samsung camera. Last one I purchased simply refused to work and here am I stuck in the middle of the Grand Canyon, Death Valley and the Painted Desert without a functioning camera.

Reckon Samsung owe me another trip to the States but they seem unwilling in the extreme!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And for another strike, Nick, never ever buy a Samsung camera. Last one I purchased simply refused to work and here am I stuck in the middle of the Grand Canyon, Death Valley and the Painted Desert without a functioning camera.

Reckon Samsung owe me another trip to the States but they seem unwilling in the extreme!

Owww! :p
Still, if there's an Apple Store nearby maybe good justification for popping for an iPhone 4s. ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Still, if there's an Apple Store nearby maybe good justification for popping for an iPhone 4s.

Don't say that too loud... every since my wife's brother showed her his new iPhone, she wants one. And our Apple store is only 10 minutes from the house. $$$ :p

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't say that too loud... every since my wife's brother showed her his new iPhone, she wants one. And our Apple store is only 10 minutes from the house. $$$ :p

I think we all know how this is going to turn out . . . .. ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately you're probably right. However, I think I can put her off until Xmas. (I hope) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They still show a 1 to 2 week wait online and in Houston they are sold out of 16GB.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Talking about cell phones. I just checked my cell phone...and it's a Samsung...CRAP!!!:(

Well...I guess I really don't have anything bad to say about my "Samsung" cell phone! That would have been "4 strikes"!!!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I think Samsung have concentrated on the phone side of things to be honest. The latest smartphone they have released here is outselling everything, and is very very good.
I still think their Hard Drives are good though, but they probably come from the same place as everyone elses!
As for the TV's, it's such a densely populated market that they have had to farm out the manufacture, and as said, there is very little quality control. The price point that have to sell at is so low now, that there is no possibility that they can keep to their old standards. A shame.
I will assume the same applies to the monitors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
Talking about cell phones. I just checked my cell phone...and it's a Samsung...CRAP!!!:(

Well...I guess I really don't have anything bad to say about my "Samsung" cell phone! That would have been "4 strikes"!!!;)

- Nick

hahahaah:D laughing out loud now with this thread!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.