problem hooking up Macbook to Toshiba HDTV

Reaction score
I have all the necessary adapters and the Desktop image from my Macbook appears on my flatscreen.

My problem is that that ONLY My screensaver image appears on my flatscreen. When I go to other applications on the Macbook, They do not appear on my HDTV Flatscreen . ONLY the Screensaver image remains and nothing else appears on the TV.

Can someone help me with this issue? I would like to see all applications from My Macbook appear on the flatscreen.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You are in what is commonly referred to as extended desktop mode.

Try moving your mouse off the screen to each side - see which side the TV is set up in relation to your primary monitor. In this mode you can move only the application(s) you want onto the 2nd display and continue using other apps on the primary display.

When you want the 2nd monitor to be identical to your primary display, you'll need to turn on mirroring mode. Head to System Preferences - Displays - Appearance tab, put a check next to "Mirror displays".

On that same screen you will also find a small window with two monitors in it. One of them has a white bar. That white bar represents your menu bar. You can drag and drop that white bar to either screen. The one you place it on will become the primary monitor. You can also rearrange the position of the monitors which would affect the side of the screen to move your cursor between them.

Welcome to the forums.

Reaction score
How about the audio?

Thanks your answer helped me as well. I am trying to watch my Mac videos, etc on my TV How do I get the audio portion to play over on the TV set instead of through the computer?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Will need to know the specific make and model # of your TV.

I "assume" you have connected your Mac to the TV via HDMI? If not, what connection are you using?

Reaction score
Connection to Sony TV

Yes I'm connected to the Sony Bravia TV through the HDMI 3 connection. The video portion is working great. I have the audio connected through a simple single wire connection, but it is not working. Sound is still coming only through my Mac. Thanks JP

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Need the specific model # for the TV. Sony has used the Bravia name like Panasonic uses Viera for several years while the available connections and the way they function can change from one to the next and definitely model year to model year.

If you have a surround system, recommend using it instead of the TV for the audio.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First: You need to clear up one problem before anything else.

... I have the audio connected through a simple single wire connection, but it is not working. Sound is still coming only through my Mac. ...

I must presume this 'simple single wire connection' audio cable is a mini-plug to mini-plug cable and you have it plugged into the PC port on the back of the TV.

However, if you have the audio cable plugged into your Mac and sound is still coming from the Mac, either: a) you have the cable in the wrong port on your Mac or b) the port on your Mac is not working properly. It should be plugged into the headphone port on your Mac.

Second: On to getting sound from the TV

There were 4 model KDS-60A sets. Yours should be the KDS-60A3000.
If it's not, then the below will not help you.

Your options:

1. If you wish to continue using the audio cable plugged into the PC port on the TV, then you must also use the video PC port on the TV which requires you to change to a VGA cable instead of the HDMI.

2. Continue using the HDMI cable for the video feed - you will need to move the cable to the HDMI # 1 port.
You will then need a stereo mini-plug to RCA cable to plug the audio into the HDMI # 1 audio port. (cable example)

See pic below.

20100103-kxbt23ubfkk65ssh9ytcyppdcd.jpg

Reaction score
Wow - amazing detail!

Thank you so much for the help! I'll keep the HDMI cable and get another one for the audio. I think I have the DVR plugged into HDMI 1, but I can switch that around. Your assistance is very much appreciated...

JP

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.