Boot & Time Machine Issues

Reaction score
I have a new 27 " imac for two weeks and new to apple OS. I ran the time machine application and it archived all the data to an IOMEGA USB drive.
I installed Parallels 4 desktop for Mac and then windows 7 as a virtual machine. I then ran boot camp and created a 32 gb partition and attempted to install Windows 7 with no luck. I then ran boot camp again and restored the system to a single Mac HD.

When I do a total shutdown, the system just hangs looking like a dos window. WHen I hold the option key down, Only a SIngle MAC hard drive is displayed, and then I can get back into MAC OS ok.

Now when I attempt to run Time Machine, the application no longer comes up but the main window drops down to the bottom of the screen (say today) and then a window that says desktop is display and not the time machine application.

Do I need to reinstall the MAC OS or what do you recommend?

Reaction score
Now when I attempt to run Time Machine, the application no longer comes up but the main window drops down to the bottom of the screen (say today) and then a window that says desktop is display and not the time machine application.

Do I need to reinstall the MAC OS or what do you recommend?

You mean you see this:

Schermafbeelding2009-11-01om164703.png

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
When you remove a Boot Camp partition, it's best to do a PRAM reset so that the EFI isn't looking for a partition that no longer exists. Turn the iMac on, press and hold Command + Option + P + R simultaneously. Continue holding until you've heard the system chime three times.

That should correct the slow boot issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.