Struggling to make a decision; iPhone or Android

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm struggling to make a decision on if I should make the jump to iPhone or stick with Android. Please help me with this decision.

First, let me list what I own that pertains to the subject.

• iPad 4th Gen
  • MacBook Pro-R
  • LG 55LM7600
  • Galaxy Nexus 4.2 Jelly Bean [not rooted]
  • A Car
  • Canon Printer

Now brief history

I started off on Blackberry Curve, moved to iPhone 3 then moved to iPhone 3GS. Me and my fiancee joined accounts and unfortunately I joined hers because she's had longer history with the carrier; it was T-Mobile :\. She's had them since VoiceStream. So I was forced to go Android Donut. Hated Android until Ice Cream Sandwich, rooted every phone I had just to make it bare-able, and now that Jelly Bean is out I actually like Android especially 4.2.

Anyway my first switch back to iOS was an iPad 3 (later upgraded to the 4th gen) and in August 2012 I made my first jump to OS X; rMBP.

Current mindset

*Keep in mind that my experiences are based on what I know personally not as a whole*

I'm very fortunate to own the things I own and to have this 'problem' is nice. That said, I can't decide if it's smart to go all Apple or not. I really like Android Jelly Bean and how responsive my phone has become, but there's still things that urk me! I like my iPad, but there's still things that urk me on that platform as well. I love both and hate both if you know what I mean.

I was gonna list all the pros and cons I've had on both, but I thought I'd just list what I do and what's important to me.

Defaults: I love defaults, I love the fact I can have a program other than what came with the phone to be my default app. I wish I could use the Gmail app as my default email app for my iPad. When I wanna share something and email it to a friend of family member, it doesn't seem to be possible using the Gmail app on iOS.

UI: I love the look of Android Jelly Bean 4.2. Small things to font all the way up to theming and live wallpapers. I love having contact images associated with text responses and conversations over text messaging. Google Now is very cool to me.

Notifications and Widgets: Self explanatory, but I like how it is on Android

Accessories: Hands down better on iPhone and I'd love to have that many options available to me.

Web Browsing: I hate browsing the web on Android especially forum writing.

Apps: I see so many apps available on App Store that I cannot find on Google Play and when they are on Google Play, sometimes they are more functional on iOS. Poking on Facebook for example. It's stupid I know, but it's the only thing that comes to mind at the moment. I like how organized the App Store is and how they categorize the apps.

Security: I'm not too familiar with the subject, but it appears that Android is weak in this department. I don't install apps outside of Google Play, but I've heard that it's still risky and I've heard that it's safe if I only use Google Play. Regardless, the fact it's in question makes me uncomfortable.

Compatibility: Here's the big one for me. I know my Galaxy Nexus will talk to my TV without any set up. I can send YouTube videos from my phone to my TV without any work. I can send photos and videos to it as well. It makes me think it is an Android/Google TV, but not sure. My iPad doesn't do this and I'm not sure how to get it to. My Android phone is also able to print from the phone over WiFi. Not sure how to get my iPad to do this. These limitations I assume the iPhone will have. However on the flip side (as far as I can tell) I can't get my Nexus to use photostream, iMessage, iCalendar, etc. I can't use my Nexus on my Logitech stereo dock thingy and the real kicker here is I can't hook it up to my car stereo intelligently. What I mean by this is I have an auxiliary port that I can use, but I have to still fiddle with my phone while driving. Not good and I'm assuming I can use my car stereo and steering wheel controls with an iPhone.

Cross Compatible: Not all is bad, I can use google music on both my iPad and Android which is nice since I can store up to 20,000 songs for free on the cloud so I don't use any iPad space or Android space. Certain apps are compatible on both platforms, but that's not the issue here. What is is apps I buy on iPad or Android for the most part only work on iOS or Android. For example my work, friends and family had this craze for a few months of playing Great Big War Game. I bought it for iOS, but all the sudden everyone started getting map packs and stuff and I was only able to play when I was home or had my iPad. So I bought it on my Android phone, I paid twice for every map and twice for the game. This has happened more than once. With an iPhone I feel like this wouldn't be a problem. It'd have almost perfect cross compatibility. This goes the same way if I had an Android Tablet like the Nexus 10 and a Nexus 4.

So basically I'm struggling to decide what to do.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I really like Android Jelly Bean and how responsive my phone has become, but there's still things that urk me! I like my iPad, but there's still things that urk me on that platform as well. I love both and hate both if you know what I mean.
Absolutely. I'd suggest that regardless of what you choose, you'll be happy and disappointed if you really like both platforms.

Defaults: I love defaults, I love the fact I can have a program other than what came with the phone to be my default app. I wish I could use the Gmail app as my default email app for my iPad. When I wanna share something and email it to a friend of family member, it doesn't seem to be possible using the Gmail app on iOS.
Switching defaults will always be Android's strength relative to iOS. This isn't necessarily a good or bad thing but if it matters to you, well, it matters to you. ;)

UI: I love the look of Android Jelly Bean 4.2. Small things to font all the way up to theming and live wallpapers. I love having contact images associated with text responses and conversations over text messaging. Google Now is very cool to me.
Most of that is doable on iOS. I don't use iOS for texting but I have to imagine that there is an SMS app that has what you need (or does this contravene Apple's "no duplicated functionality" rule?).

Notifications and Widgets: Self explanatory, but I like how it is on Android
Although I prefer Android's notifications (being able to select certain notifications for removal instead of an all or nothing thing for example), both are pretty close in functionality.

Accessories: Hands down better on iPhone and I'd love to have that many options available to me.
Without question. One of the benefits of having a smaller product line.

Web Browsing: I hate browsing the web on Android especially forum writing.
I think that might be more to do with the keyboard but I could be wrong. Either way, Safari is a very capable mobile browser.

Apps: I see so many apps available on App Store that I cannot find on Google Play and when they are on Google Play, sometimes they are more functional on iOS. Poking on Facebook for example. It's stupid I know, but it's the only thing that comes to mind at the moment. I like how organized the App Store is and how they categorize the apps.
It works both ways but it would seem that the App Store is better suited to your needs.

Security: I'm not too familiar with the subject, but it appears that Android is weak in this department. I don't install apps outside of Google Play, but I've heard that it's still risky and I've heard that it's safe if I only use Google Play. Regardless, the fact it's in question makes me uncomfortable.
No store is perfect (stuff has leaked into the App Store) but Apple does do a considerably better job at filtering apps before they hit the market.

However on the flip side (as far as I can tell) I can't get my Nexus to use photostream, iMessage, iCalendar, etc.
Surprised that Apple's products integrate with Apple services better than Android?

Listen, it looks like you love both platforms for different reasons. I suggest that whatever you decide will give you great joy and disappoint you in some way. I think if you expect that, the decision will be easier because you can then ignore certain smaller issues. Pick the big concern, figure out which platform is better for it, and go with that.

OP
vahdyx
Reaction score
Yeah I see what you're saying. It's just that I don't wanna regret my decision haha.

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you really like both platforms, there will be some element of regret. Take me for example. I really want a Windows Phone but also wanted to stick with Android (all the apps and sync services I used already worked with it). Ended up getting a new Android phone but there's still a bit of regret in there that I didn't go with WP8.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Too many options out there. There is going to be regret with any choice that you make.

C

chas_m

Here's my problem with Android:

1. The carrier or manufacturer, not you, determines when and IF you are ever going to get updates. The Jelly Bean 4.1 update that was released in June was only *just* released to Samsung Galaxy users TODAY, seven months later (and they are still behind, and will likely never see 4.2 or later releases). That's NUTS in my opinion.

2. Greatly increased security risk. LOTS of malware and scamware and other badware for Android: no malware for iOS at all, incredibly low risk of scamware (unless you are an idiot who can't read, and you're obviously not).

3. This one is only relevant your situation: why on earth would you invest in apps on one system that can't be run on your other device?? Go all-Android or all-iOS on that front, or you are throwing your app money away. And only ONE of those two systems can run ALL the Apps in their app store on both devices ... and that's iOS, the one with the far larger selection of apps as well (and the one that gets everything first, btw).

4. Apple makes the whole widget. Try getting tech support for an Android product, it's HILARIOUS but not in a fun way -- the finger-pointing back and forth reminds me of the support banter between Microsoft "it can't be Windows" and software dev or peripheral vendor "It's a Windows issue" -- wheee! The carrier has a STRONG incentive to try to get you to upgrade to a newer phone, not fix any problems or give you free upgrades. Google won't help you unless you can prove it's an Android bug (speaking of which, it's kinda buggy!).

5. This may change with upcoming processors, but every time I've used Android systems they seem laggy. It varies, but there's enough time to wonder if that tap really "took" and try it again before it responds.

6. In all but the finest Android phones, I notice a distinct cheap feel and a lot of plastic. Hey, my original iPhone had a fair amount of plastic, its strong and not always a bad choice (the Galaxy S III being a good example). But I really do prefer the metal and glass of my iPhone 4.

7. Comparing the two eco-systems, people complain about Apple's "walled garden" but you are really FAR more "chained" to Google products once you go Android I find. They push all their services all the time HARD. With iOS, I have options for mail, for browsing, and for most (not all) of the other default apps. I have options with Android too -- but every road seems to lead back to using Google's products (as I am constantly being reminded). If you're already using all Google all the time, then this is not an issue.

8. If I want an alternative to iOS -- and I think alternatives are healthy -- why would I want a cheap knock-off of iOS? No, what I'd want would be something that is REALLY distinct from iOS. Something more like Windows Phone, or maybe this Ubuntu Phone thing (haven't really looked into it yet, could be something there!) or what about this BB10, let's see what they've got when they bring it to market. You know, something not trying to be as much like iOS as possible.

9. To some this is a silly complaint, but the sheer number of models and the pace of new models coming out (all of them with some new feature I don't have) in the Android community borders on ridiculous. I've been impressed with the Samsung Galaxy S III, but why would I buy one now? The S IV will likely debut around the end of this quarter, some eight months after the S III came out! I don't like this trend even when Apple does it (yes, I own a third-gen iPad :)). This race to make the old model obsolete before my contract is even half done is kind of crazy. With Apple at least I get the software updates that give me as many features as possible, so my phone doesn't feel like its aging quite as fast.

10. My second-biggest beef with Android is that it is pretty obvious that the CARRIER is the customer and I'M the product when you go with Android. Google (with the exception of its own Nexus phones and tablets) lets the carriers cruft the devices up with mostly junkware (a familiar concept to Windows owners) some of which can't be removed, and lay over their own interfaces (some of which are nice, some suck) that are all different from each other.

There's more but I think you get the idea. I don't think iOS is perfect but of the three phone platforms I have any experience with, the clear hands-down superior one is iOS. That said, I am happy to see *clear* alternatives to iOS because no size should ever fit all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Looking at your kit I think the only thing missing there from an AV point of view is an ATV3, add an iPhone into the mix and it would be a great set-up in my opinion.

OP
vahdyx
Reaction score
1. The carrier or manufacturer, not you, determines when and IF you are ever going to get updates. The Jelly Bean 4.1 update that was released in June was only *just* released to Samsung Galaxy users TODAY, seven months later (and they are still behind, and will likely never see 4.2 or later releases). That's NUTS in my opinion.

Yup fragmentation is definitely carrier or manufactures fault. I agree and a reason why I don't like non-nexus androids.

2. Greatly increased security risk. LOTS of malware and scamware and other badware for Android: no malware for iOS at all, incredibly low risk of scamware (unless you are an idiot who can't read, and you're obviously not).
I've heard two things. It's only when you side load apps or app markets and not google play (I've never experienced malware yet using only google play). Then I've heard there on google play as well. Not sure what the truth is, but it seems fueled by platform biases. It seems the ones that say nothing to worry about are android fans and the one that say you're screwed are apple fans. It's hard to get a clear answer.

3. This one is only relevant your situation: why on earth would you invest in apps on one system that can't be run on your other device?? Go all-Android or all-iOS on that front, or you are throwing your app money away. And only ONE of those two systems can run ALL the Apps in their app store on both devices ... and that's iOS, the one with the far larger selection of apps as well (and the one that gets everything first, btw).

Yeah I know. It's a waste.
4. Apple makes the whole widget. Try getting tech support for an Android product, it's HILARIOUS but not in a fun way -- the finger-pointing back and forth reminds me of the support banter between Microsoft "it can't be Windows" and software dev or peripheral vendor "It's a Windows issue" -- wheee! The carrier has a STRONG incentive to try to get you to upgrade to a newer phone, not fix any problems or give you free upgrades. Google won't help you unless you can prove it's an Android bug (speaking of which, it's kinda buggy!).

I have never tried, and I agree. Android before jelly bean was buggy but I really think JB fixed a lot of my android complaints. I actually like it now. What's these widgets you speak of and how do I get them on my iPad?

5. This may change with upcoming processors, but every time I've used Android systems they seem laggy. It varies, but there's enough time to wonder if that tap really "took" and try it again before it responds.

I disagree with this for the most part. Jelly Bean made my phone just as responsive if not more responsive than my iPad. I say "most part" because web browsing is cumbersome on my device where it's great on iOS. One thing I will say is I have more random closing apps on my iPad than I do on my android phone. Not sure why but its annoying, but it's happened on both. I've seen it happen to my friends iPhone as well.

6. In all but the finest Android phones, I notice a distinct cheap feel and a lot of plastic. Hey, my original iPhone had a fair amount of plastic, its strong and not always a bad choice (the Galaxy S III being a good example). But I really do prefer the metal and glass of my iPhone 4.

I agree. There's a definite more quality feel in iPhone than Android, but that's not as important to me because I usually throw on a case. What's more important to me is what my user experience is. And like I said I'm struggling because I love both and hate both.

7. Comparing the two eco-systems, people complain about Apple's "walled garden" but you are really FAR more "chained" to Google products once you go Android I find. They push all their services all the time HARD. With iOS, I have options for mail, for browsing, and for most (not all) of the other default apps. I have options with Android too -- but every road seems to lead back to using Google's products (as I am constantly being reminded). If you're already using all Google all the time, then this is not an issue.

Not entirely sure what you're saying but maybe it's because I'm using Nexus (my fiancée uses GS3) but we are never reminded to use google. You can change it so the android system uses what ever app you want by default this isn't possible on iOS as far as I can tell. If you install another app that is similar to what you are using, it'll ask you what do you want to use with a list of apps pertaining to what you are doing. But never have I been constantly reminded to use google services. iOS forces me to use safari when I click a link but I like using mercury browser for one example. Another example is my mail. When I wanna send a link to a friend say from the auto-trader app. I am forced to use apple mail. No if ands or buts about it. So I use auto-trader on my android phone where I can choose which email client I want to use to send a link.

8. If I want an alternative to iOS -- and I think alternatives are healthy -- why would I want a cheap knock-off of iOS? No, what I'd want would be something that is REALLY distinct from iOS. Something more like Windows Phone, or maybe this Ubuntu Phone thing (haven't really looked into it yet, could be something there!) or what about this BB10, let's see what they've got when they bring it to market. You know, something not trying to be as much like iOS as possible.

I think Jelly Bean is good. I wouldn't consider it a knock off. I think they are completely different. I disagree with that statement.

9. To some this is a silly complaint, but the sheer number of models and the pace of new models coming out (all of them with some new feature I don't have) in the Android community borders on ridiculous. I've been impressed with the Samsung Galaxy S III, but why would I buy one now? The S IV will likely debut around the end of this quarter, some eight months after the S III came out! I don't like this trend even when Apple does it (yes, I own a third-gen iPad :)). This race to make the old model obsolete before my contract is even half done is kind of crazy. With Apple at least I get the software updates that give me as many features as possible, so my phone doesn't feel like its aging quite as fast.

Yeah I see your point. This is another reason why I want to go back to iOS. Though I've read that apple may adopt 6 month update cycles. If true then it's just as good(bad) as everything else out there.

10. My second-biggest beef with Android is that it is pretty obvious that the CARRIER is the customer and I'M the product when you go with Android. Google (with the exception of its own Nexus phones and tablets) lets the carriers cruft the devices up with mostly junkware (a familiar concept to Windows owners) some of which can't be removed, and lay over their own interfaces (some of which are nice, some suck) that are all different from each other.

This is why I promised myself if I stick with android only nexus products. My Galaxy Nexus is pretty good. I imagine the Nexus 4 being that much better. I agree this problem is easily fixed with adopting iOS.

There's more but I think you get the idea. I don't think iOS is perfect but of the three phone platforms I have any experience with, the clear hands-down superior one is iOS. That said, I am happy to see *clear* alternatives to iOS because no size should ever fit all.

I see you favor iOS and based on your personal experience it seems to have fueled a hate towards Android. I hated android as well until ICS really. ICS was laggy still but JB made my phone quick. My fiancées phone is faster than mine and she's been running JB for a couple months now. I've been running JB earlier than her since I'm Nexus. I like JB and iOS. I hate them as well. It's hard because I don't wanna regret.

I wrote all this on my iPad. If I would have done this on my android phone it would have been a pain.

Looking at your kit I think the only thing missing there from an AV point of view is an ATV3, add an iPhone into the mix and it would be a great set-up in my opinion.

I should get an ATV this would further my need for an iPhone lol. Maybe I'll just go iOS all the way. Key lime pie is due out this spring as well as an iPhone for T-Mobile. I guess I will see what's more important to me then.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No malware whatsoever.

And only ONE of those two systems can run ALL the Apps in their app store on both devices ... and that's iOS
Tell that to the multiple devices I own that happily run the same app.
the one with the far larger selection of apps as well (and the one that gets everything first, btw).
Larger selection? Not according to just about every measure out there (which suggests that both are about the same size). See here.

Google won't help you unless you can prove it's an Android bug (speaking of which, it's kinda buggy!).
That might be why the three Android devices I own have never crashed (nor has iOS). Sure, this is subjective - I can't prove that one is inherently more stable than the other but neither can you.

7. Comparing the two eco-systems, people complain about Apple's "walled garden" but you are really FAR more "chained" to Google products once you go Android I find. They push all their services all the time HARD.
No harder than Apple pushes iCloud. Once you skip logging into Google during initial setup, you are no more tied to Google than you are to Apple with an iPhone.

With iOS, I have options for mail, for browsing, and for most (not all) of the other default apps.
Android actually allows you to use competing products, not just shells for Cocoa Touch components and lets users change default applications. Take web browsing for a moment. In iOS, you're stuck with Safari however you look at it since all browsers have to rely on Cocoa Touch's WebKit component (since using another rendering engine would contravene the App Store's rule about interpretation of code). On Android, I can use different browsers than aren't just skins for an underlying set of components. This is why I can use Chrome, Firefox or Opera (not Mini which is hardly a browser at all) and set it as a default.

I have options with Android too -- but every road seems to lead back to using Google's products (as I am constantly being reminded). If you're already using all Google all the time, then this is not an issue.
I could happily go about my day using Firefox or Opera and never see Google once. I could happily download a third party email client and never have Google register in my consciousness. You seem to have a very interesting view as to how far Google reaches into the everyday Android experience.

8. If I want an alternative to iOS -- and I think alternatives are healthy -- why would I want a cheap knock-off of iOS?
Good point, but where are these knockoffs?

No, what I'd want would be something that is REALLY distinct from iOS. Something more like Windows Phone, or maybe this Ubuntu Phone thing (haven't really looked into it yet, could be something there!) or what about this BB10, let's see what they've got when they bring it to market. You know, something not trying to be as much like iOS as possible.
Because surely iOS has never tried to be like Android at any point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I should get an ATV this would further my need for an iPhone lol. Maybe I'll just go iOS all the way. Key lime pie is due out this spring as well as an iPhone for T-Mobile. I guess I will see what's more important to me then.

Ha ha I thought you'd spot that one! The thing is I'm trying to look at the bigger picture. Sometimes with too much analysis and 'drill down' the decision becomes less pragmatic..rather it becomes micro-managed and you could end up making a choice based on an insignificance.

You have a very,very nice TV and two major, top-end Apple assets and you can't stream anything from either of them to it at the moment.

OP
vahdyx
Reaction score
Ha ha I thought you'd spot that one! The thing is I'm trying to look at the bigger picture. Sometimes with too much analysis and 'drill down' the decision becomes less pragmatic..rather it becomes micro-managed and you could end up making a choice based on an insignificance.

You have a very,very nice TV and two major, top-end Apple assets and you can't stream anything from either of them to it at the moment.

The thing though is once you begin to over analyze things it's too late. You already have the knowledge and things to effect your decision. I don't know much about Apple TV, but the little I do know is I can stream things from my iDevices to the little set top box. The thing that is bother-some is it seems (keep in mind I have no real knowledge of the device) that it's major feature set my TV already does. YouTube, Netflix, Web browse, Hulu, CBS, etc. What frustrates me a little is I need to get a new box in order to do what my cell phone already does. My Nexus without any real set up sends photos and video to my TV. Like mentioned above, I can send YouTube videos to my TV with just a push of a button. I can't with my iPad. I can with my PS3 and iPad, but not TV. At least I haven't figured out how to yet.

And @ vansmith

I didn't wanna be rude since I'm new around here, but it appears chas_m is biased and his response seemed fueled with logical fallacies. I don't know his experience with Android, but apparently it wasn't a good one. I like Android 4.2 and I can only imagine greater things from them. This is why I'm struggling to decide. However I took his response with a grain of salt. There's some logic behind some of his gripes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
With all the smart-tv features coming out - the Apple TV by itself makes little sense. I agree - most everything web based - is now being included on the set-top box itself.

Where Apple TV makes a difference - is if you have other Apple products - and use iTunes as your main media manager. Then you can stream from any device - to the ATV - including your iTunes library. It also gives you access to the iTunes store - for movie rentals and purchases.

So you can see - if you are not fully invested in the ecosystem - it is a $99 box that has redundant features. If you are invested in the ecosystem - it is a $99 that acts as a stream point to your home theatre. For me - this replaced an old Windows computer acting as a HTPC (much cheaper than having a computer just to access your iTunes media (and/or other media)).

My one big gripe - is I have to add my media files to iTunes - to access them (movies and music) - there is no way to point to a drive and say play this movie (that I've found without jailbreaking) I tried using the airplay mirror feature from my MBP/MBA - but it looked horrible on the ATV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With all the smart-tv features coming out - the Apple TV by itself makes little sense. I agree - most everything web based - is now being included on the set-top box itself.

Where Apple TV makes a difference - is if you have other Apple products - and use iTunes as your main media manager. Then you can stream from any device - to the ATV - including your iTunes library. It also gives you access to the iTunes store - for movie rentals and purchases.

So you can see - if you are not fully invested in the ecosystem - it is a $99 box that has redundant features. If you are invested in the ecosystem - it is a $99 that acts as a stream point to your home theatre. For me - this replaced an old Windows computer acting as a HTPC (much cheaper than having a computer just to access your iTunes media (and/or other media)).

My one big gripe - is I have to add my media files to iTunes - to access them (movies and music) - there is no way to point to a drive and say play this movie (that I've found without jailbreaking) I tried using the airplay mirror feature from my MBP/MBA - but it looked horrible on the ATV.

Which is where I was leading with it...$99 in the scheme of things (all other equipment considered) would be the financial equivalent of buying a decent interconnect for an AV system in order to objectively assess how the iOS scenario works for vahdyx.

The phone decision can come later. I had an iPhone before an ATV but it had no bearing on the decision because my local ecosystem is driven by my iMac..the 'dog wagging the tail' so to speak.

C

chas_m

Yup fragmentation is definitely carrier or manufactures fault. I agree and a reason why I don't like non-nexus androids.

Agreed. If you're going Android, I'd recommend the Nexus ones. That way you're much more likely to get timely updates.

I've heard two things. It's only when you side load apps or app markets and not google play (I've never experienced malware yet using only google play).

You've been lucky. FBI warns Android users of malware app risk | Electronista

Google does what they can to prevent malware, but so far they've been about as successful as they have been in stopping spam -- a good effort, but not completely successful.

Android before jelly bean was buggy but I really think JB fixed a lot of my android complaints. I actually like it now. What's these widgets you speak of and how do I get them on my iPad?

Good to hear that JB is a solid improvement. When I referred to "widgets" I was speaking metaphorically, ie the entire device. I've looked at Android widgets and can seem some use but mostly they just take up a lot of screen space unnecessarily to me -- for example the HUGE CLOCK on by default on most Android models. Do they think me blind, or just that the current time is much more important than, say, recent VIP emails? It's kinda weird to me (luckily you can customize that).

I disagree with this for the most part. Jelly Bean made my phone just as responsive if not more responsive than my iPad. I say "most part" because web browsing is cumbersome on my device where it's great on iOS.

But surely this is one the MAIN USES of a tablet or smartphone?? That's like saying your car starts up great but is a little iffy when you start driving. That's not a great car IMO.

One thing I will say is I have more random closing apps on my iPad than I do on my android phone. Not sure why but its annoying, but it's happened on both. I've seen it happen to my friends iPhone as well.

I have not experienced this at all since I learned (about two weeks after buying my first iOS device) that you need to ACTUALLY turn them off (not just sleep them) every couple of weeks. A lot of iOS device owners do not appear to know that you CAN turn them completely off.

I agree. There's a definite more quality feel in iPhone than Android, but that's not as important to me because I usually throw on a case.

Fair point. Mine's in a thin case. I was just playing with an S III today and must again say I like what they've done with it given that its plastic. High-quality assembly.

You can change it so the android system uses what ever app you want by default this isn't possible on iOS as far as I can tell.

Android is definitely more customizable than iOS, a clear point in its favour for some -- but I do think most non-geek users don't really give a toss about that, and honestly I don't have the time for stuff like that. I value "work out of the box" over "I can, with sufficient skill and incantations, make it do anything I want." Not everybody feels the same way (see Van Smith).

iOS forces me to use safari when I click a link but I like using mercury browser for one example.

All iOS browsers are, secretly, Safari (well, WebKit). Even the "Chrome" on iOS. I believe its a security requirement from Apple. Or EVIL as Van might say. :)

Another example is my mail. When I wanna send a link to a friend say from the auto-trader app. I am forced to use apple mail.

My friends who use Sparrow report no such issues, but I don't know from first-hand experience.

Yeah I see your point. This is another reason why I want to go back to iOS. Though I've read that apple may adopt 6 month update cycles. If true then it's just as good(bad) as everything else out there.

Yeah, that's not happening. Apple is about trying to get it right on the first try (not always succeeding, but always trying), not about what Wall Street pundits want.

I see you favor iOS and based on your personal experience it seems to have fueled a hate towards Android.

I don't hate Android. I hate that Google stole it from Apple (without getting into a long discussion about it -- as someone who was around at the time, I agree with Steve Jobs' and Tim Cook's assessment of Android.) I also hate Motorola's and Google's VERY CLEAR abuse of FRAND and SEP rules.

I should get an ATV this would further my need for an iPhone lol.

They're crafty like that. :)

Another factor to consider: Google loses money LIKE CRAZY on Android. Of course, they can afford to -- but I have to wonder how long they will WANT to. The only people making money on Android are Microsoft and Samsung. Apple makes nearly 80 percent of ALL the profits in smartphones. It's hard to predict the future, but which of those two systems may require a rethink in a few years do you think?

C

chas_m

I don't know his experience with Android, but apparently it wasn't a good one. I like Android 4.2 and I can only imagine greater things from them. This is why I'm struggling to decide. However I took his response with a grain of salt. There's some logic behind some of his gripes.

I haven't had a chance to use Android 4.2 yet because none of the devices I have access to (including new phones in stores, for pity's sake!!) are PERMITTED to run it yet. Which is why I made the whole "limited access to upgrades" point bullet #1. It's a deal-killing flaw IMO.

I will gladly accept the idea that Android is steadily improving, that seems perfectly logical of course, and Google has tons of talented people (I have a number of friends who work for them). As others have said, Jelly Bean was a big improvement and coupled with under-the-hood improvements as well, there's no doubt in my mind that the Android experience is improving.

But there are few inherent issues that haven't changed. The carrier being in charge, the malware, the crapware carriers put on, the similarity to iOS, the clear preference of developers to develop for iOS first and often exclusively, the profitability of Android as a business for Google. None of this has changed since the day Google changed Android from being a BB-alike to an iPhone-alike.

But you know what? For some people -- for budget or other reasons -- Android may be the best choice. As long as they chose it based on a thoughtful evaluation of their needs and after considering all the available options, I have no problem with that whatsoever.

What I hate is when some pushy sales guy lies about options in order to makes some commission. Or consumers who believe (any company's) hype without checking it out themselves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Airport
This will make your decision easier

Everything will change - again!
;D

iphone maxi.jpg

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All iOS browsers are, secretly, Safari (well, WebKit). Even the "Chrome" on iOS. I believe its a security requirement from Apple. Or EVIL as Van might say. :)
I don't think it's evil at all. A little draconian with regards to security? Perhaps but I suppose there are benefits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 13
My biggest issue is with the similarity between iOS and Android. Apple put the time and energy in to designing something completely unique... I just wish Android had done the same thing. That's the main reason I can't get behind Android.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That neglects a whole history of development and innovation on the part of Google. Let's remember that although Google adapted things for Android, Apple did the same for iOS.

C

chas_m

Before the iPhone, Android was a knock-off of the market leader at the time -- BlackBerry. After they saw the iPhone, they swung around to make it look and work like that. FACT. No matter how much you may prefer their approach, there's a documented history that proves their inspirations -- in the same sense that Samsung changed direction after they saw the iPhone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.