Using Preview to resize an image

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
I'm using Preview to adjust the size of a scanned 5x7. I went into the settings and adjusted it as such (5x7 inches, not pixels) and when I printed it out it took up the whole page! I need it exactly 5x7 so why isn't it printing as such?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
I'm using Preview to adjust the size of a scanned 5x7. I went into the settings and adjusted it as such (5x7 inches, not pixels) and when I printed it out it took up the whole page! I need it exactly 5x7 so why isn't it printing as such?

You need 5x7 paper.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need 5x7 paper.

I'm using 8x11 paper, which means a 5x7 should fit. The thing is the dimensions here are not 5x7 like I specified -- instead they span almost the entire 8x11 sheet of paper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Probably because there's a setting that is set to take an image and span the entire page rather than print it at 100%. Are you printing straight from Preview?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
I'm using 8x11 paper, which means a 5x7 should fit. The thing is the dimensions here are not 5x7 like I specified -- instead they span almost the entire 8x11 sheet of paper.

Resizing in preview will only make the image SMALLER... the dimensions smaller, that is. You'd have to manually change the print settings.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably because there's a setting that is set to take an image and span the entire page rather than print it at 100%. Are you printing straight from Preview?

Yes, straight from Preview

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlueMac is exactly where I was going with this. When you hit Print, the default setting is to scale the image to fit the page. What you want to do is hit the little down arrow next to Printer, and then go down to where it says Scale to fit and select Scale instead. With the number set to 100%, it should print the actual size of the image rather than fit it to the entire sheet.

Also, if you want to cut it out, then uncheck Center Image as well, it's a lot easier to cut a picture when it's against a side and not smack in the middle.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlueMac is exactly where I was going with this. When you hit Print, the default setting is to scale the image to fit the page. What you want to do is hit the little down arrow next to Printer, and then go down to where it says Scale to fit and select Scale instead. With the number set to 100%, it should print the actual size of the image rather than fit it to the entire sheet.

Also, if you want to cut it out, then uncheck Center Image as well, it's a lot easier to cut a picture when it's against a side and not smack in the middle.

Just when I thought I had it set up perfectly with your help, I re-scanned it as a TIFF for high quality, followed your instructions (which had previously worked in test runs), and now it's printing even BIGGER than the 8x5 paper. Is it because I changed it to TIFF quality?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook with Leopard! YAY!
When you scanned it, did it scan larger than 5x7?

What I mean is, did it make the image larger when it scanned?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you scanned it, did it scan larger than 5x7?

What I mean is, did it make the image larger when it scanned?

Yes, when it scans, it scans in huge, but I thought I could re-size it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try saving the original as a JPEG, resize, and then print as per the instructions I provided above.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try saving the original as a JPEG, resize, and then print as per the instructions I provided above.

Still huge:(

Edit: I ended up printing the photo in Photoshop and it came out fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.