Mouse Recommendation?

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good mouse for my new iMac? The Magic Mouse was pokey, even when I used terminal to speed it up. I'm looking for faster, more accurate, currently using an old Logic USB mouse. I've been checking out the Logitech V440 and the Swirli-something ergonomic mouse.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Can anyone recommend a good mouse for my new iMac? The Magic Mouse was pokey, even when I used terminal to speed it up. I'm looking for faster, more accurate, currently using an old Logic USB mouse. I've been checking out the Logitech V440 and the Swirli-something ergonomic mouse.

The best mouse I can reccomend is the Magic TrackPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
TrackPad is not a mouse. It is a nice piece of hardware, but I would not use it for most of what I do.

I have a Logitech G700 gaming mouse that I use most of the time. I have a piece of software on my MPB that allows me to utilize all the buttons since it isnt supported natively by OSX. I cannot remember the name for the life of me, but I bet someone here knows.

If I were to go and purchase a new mouse today? Razor Mamba - it is natively supported by OSX.
Razer Mamba - Wireless Gaming Mouse | Razer Online Store

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The best mouse I can reccomend is the Magic TrackPad.

Must be me, but mine lasted two days before I returned it. Hard to teach old dogs (me) new Magic tricks.... :p Still using my old trusty Logitech.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I agree that a TrackPad is not a mouse (answer was meant tongue in cheek--sort of). Having said that, I am not a gamer and two buttons have always been more than enough for me, I haven't voluntarily used a mouse since I got my TrackPad.

I know it isn't for everyone, but it is my reccomendation. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Even so, but I still don't want a trackpad for video/photo editing. The exception being a pen interface like the Wacom tablets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Trackpad here too I have to say. I hate using a mouse now.
That said, for your intended useage, then Logitech make some of the better ones for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
My old Logitech mouse finally broken on me after many years of usage. I decided to get the Logitech M500 corded mouse and have been very satisfied with it so far. I tend to prefer corded mouses. I don't have to deal with batteries.

I only use it as a basic mouse so I haven't installed the software it needs for all the fancy buttons. I know I could've bought a cheap basic mouse but the ergonomics and better precision in laser accuracy is a benefit to this mouse in comparison. It was worth it for me.

OP
J
Reaction score
I guess what I'm looking for is reassurance that a mouse will track quickly and accurately, as well as scroll smoothly and accurately.

I loved scrolling with no wheel on the Magic Mouse, but I was shocked that it was so slow and sluggish despite my manually setting the scaling in Terminal. I would've thought Apple would make the best mouse for a Mac, and here I am going back to the ugly gray Logitech. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I guess what I'm looking for is reassurance that a mouse will track quickly and accurately, as well as scroll smoothly and accurately.

I loved scrolling with no wheel on the Magic Mouse, but I was shocked that it was so slow and sluggish despite my manually setting the scaling in Terminal. I would've thought Apple would make the best mouse for a Mac, and here I am going back to the ugly gray Logitech. :)
My Logitech M500 tracks quickly and accurately enough for me. I have noticed that each mouse has it's own tracking speeds. I've used three different mouse and they all had a different tracking speed even though they were at the same settings.

The other thing I like about the M500 is that it has a smooth scroll feature that can be turned off and on with a button. This means I can scroll up and down quickly by just flicking the wheel. When I want more precise and slow scrolling I just click the button and scroll like normal. That's probably not what you are looking for but I thought I would mention it because it's a nice feature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Even so, but I still don't want a trackpad for video/photo editing. The exception being a pen interface like the Wacom tablets.

Actually, being a Wacom user.. I can state that if I can't use the Wacom, I use the trackpad. I HATE using mice for this type of work, it's sooooo counter-intuitive.

That said, neither even come close to the tablet for functionality anyway. Period.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.