Web Comics

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 80G HDD, 1G RAM
I recently got introduced to web comics by Scott Johnson after listening to his Extra Life and The Instance podcasts. I think what these artists do is really cool seeing as how most are free for everyone to look at. I was wondering how they make these comics? Most of them look like they are made by the same program... anyone have any ideas? I was thinking of fooling around in web comics myself.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle
I know some of the artists use photoshop. My personal fav web comic is CTRL-ALT-DEL by Tim Buckley

OP
Dodger
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know some of the artists use photoshop. My personal fav web comic is CTRL-ALT-DEL by Tim Buckley

HAHA that comic is awesome!

So you're saying that they use their mouse to draw the characters? How do they all look the same?

Reaction score
Photoshop is the way to go

Dear Chontos,

I am currently working on a graphic novel ( http://www.lightchildren.com ) that is also appearing online and I use Photoshop exclusively. It makes life so much easier, and you can take advantage of so many features to streamline the whole process (repeating background frames when necessary, using templates, custom brushes, etc.). The 'save for web' options and the batch processing capabilities also help. I can't imagine any other app coming close.

OP
Dodger
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow that looks really cool! Very well done. I'll keep up to date with it for sure!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
HAHA that comic is awesome!

So you're saying that they use their mouse to draw the characters? How do they all look the same?

I'd say most people would use a tablet of some sort, most probably Wacom. Very helpful when it comes to drawing on the computer.

OP
Dodger
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How much do those things tend to go for? I imagine them being quite steep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle
well most of the web artists use the wacom tablet pcs which can run from $2-3,000. There are tablets that connect via usb to a computer but don't have a screen on them but the pen acts as a mouse cursor and you can see it on the screen to draw. I have one of these and it works well. Pricing for these kind depends on size, anywhere from 4x6" to 8x10" or more, price varies from $85 to $400

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Apparently Apple is bringing out one of those screen-tablet things...

But I'd say the most common ones for personal use is the pen = mouse on cpu screen one. I have one (A5 sized) and I love it. You can get some decent ones of eBay pretty cheap.

Reaction score
Photoshop and Illustrato are going to mean your main programs depending on your style.

And yes, Wacom Tablets are a godsend, they are amazing. I don't what $4000 tablets OSU is taling about. But there is no need to buy something that expensive.

I just did this with a Wacom Tablet

WolverineHulk.jpg

i use Illustrator for Inking. Photoshop for colors when it comes to Comic Colors more o less like this
Bloody-Cover-FInal.jpg

In Illustrator I make images more like this one
Scarlett.jpg

Frankly I think internet Comics are a good project, especially if they get real big, they will look good. But I think it requires more writing skills and creativity than actual artistic talent, that is what makes them great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's the kind of tablet I was talking about that runs about $3000. It's a Wacom Cintiq. The photo is of the guy that does ctrl-alt-del drawing on his.

halloween02.jpg

OP
Dodger
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow thanks for the all the replies! that thing looks freakin awesome...

I think I may eBay one for around a couple hundred bucks to see if I can get started! My cousin and I are moving to Vancouver and will be living together while going to school so we could really use a project like a webcomic to do together.

Thanks guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.