4.2 on 3GS - Am I missing something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro, iPod Nano 5th Gen. Yellow 16GB, iPhone 3G 16GB
So I just upgraded my 3GS to the 4.2 and... Nothing happened. Should AirPrint and AirPlay just appear, or do I have to install them? This "messaging with text tones" business doesn't seem to be working either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Those features should be there on the 3GS. This is from Apple...

"Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking, AirPrint, and VoiceOver are available on iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch (3rd generation and later). AirPlay and Game Center are available on iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch (2nd generation and later)."

Is there anyone else with a 3GS here on the forums that can assist?

Reaction score
I seem to have all the upgrades on my 3gs apart from the text tones.

Very strange.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I seem to have all the upgrades on my 3gs apart from the text tones.

Very strange.

Which part of "Not all features are compatible with all devices..." did you not get?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro, iPod Nano 5th Gen. Yellow 16GB, iPhone 3G 16GB
Which part of, "multitasking, AirPrint, and VoiceOver are available on iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch (3rd generation and later). AirPlay and Game Center are available on iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch (2nd generation and later)." didn't YOU understand?

Apple clearly stated that all these updates SHOULD work on my phone. Updates don't differ from one 3GS to the next.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which part of, "multitasking, AirPrint, and VoiceOver are available on iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch (3rd generation and later). AirPlay and Game Center are available on iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch (2nd generation and later)." didn't YOU

Since I wasn't addressing you, I got them all....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Which part of, "multitasking, AirPrint, and VoiceOver are available on iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch (3rd generation and later). AirPlay and Game Center are available on iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch (2nd generation and later)." didn't YOU understand?

Apple clearly stated that all these updates SHOULD work on my phone. Updates don't differ from one 3GS to the next.

You should check to see who someone is replying to before assuming they're talking to you and then you reply with something nasty when the person wasn't talking to you.

Just a tip.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 320M
What is text tones? also airprint is only available on few HP wireless printers.

See at the bottem of the page Apple - iPhone 4 - AirPrint
and if you go to mobile safari, the middle icon at the bottom has a print option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
iphone 3gs upgraded to 4.2. G4 w/10.411 will not recognize.Anyone know how to downgra

Greetings All, Sorry if I am posting in the wrong place.
I was at a friend's and he (a PC user) was doing some upgrading and offered to update my iphone 3gs to 4,2.
he did and now my g4 733 and g4 550 (both running 10.4.11)will not "see" my iphone.
It is my understanding that I need to have OS 10.5 and the G4s cannot run that and in addition to 10.5 also need iTunes 10 which of course will not install and run without OS 10.5.
Insane!!!
I did a hard reset but all it did was wipe my phone which will still not be seen by my macs and thus restored because I assume that it has kept the 4.2 firmware. I understand that none of this is an issue with pcs dating back to P4.
I feel very much hung out to dry by Apple. Can anyone help, please?
I would like to go back to where I was with 4.1. Or even the factory firmware.:[

C

chas_m

Greetings All, Sorry if I am posting in the wrong place.
I was at a friend's and he (a PC user) was doing some upgrading and offered to update my iphone 3gs to 4,2.
he did and now my g4 733 and g4 550 (both running 10.4.11)will not "see" my iphone.
It is my understanding that I need to have OS 10.5 and the G4s cannot run that

I feel very much hung out to dry by Apple.

Why?

Apple didn't make you upgrade your iPhone. Your PC-using friend did, and he ignored the system requirements of iOS 4.2.

Because he did that, you really (literally) can't go back. The firmware is irreversible. Your friend really should have read the requirements.

Good news, though: you were way overdue for a newer machine, and now you have the excuse you need to buy one! :)

It doesn't have to be a NEW Mac, just a newER Mac. Your (very) old machines are JUST outside the requirements of Leopard (which needs 867MHz or higher).

Given the absolute FLOOD of new software that will not run on machines as old as yours, and given that Apple has repeatedly pointed out that they aren't supporting PPC machines any more, and given that it would thus be a very logical conclusion that you'd have run into this problem sooner or later anyway, I'd strongly recommend an Intel-based Mac (which have been Apple's exclusive manufacture for five years now) to avoid having to face this problem again in a year or two.

Luckily, recent Intel Macs are relatively cheap, Snow Leopard is extremely cheap, and depending on what model you get the more recent iLife(s) are extremely cheap, so this shouldn't set you back that much.

Alternatively, you could reset the iPhone to "factory" (will still have the baseband that requires 10.5 though), remove the SIM, sell that iphone and buy another 3GS that hasn't yet been upgraded, put your SIM in and you're back in business.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
i am using the iphone4 my gf has my old 3gs

both running 4.2

pretty much run identicle in every way except for the 17 new text tones..which are garbage anyway

btw airprint is great....flawless and quick,,using the hp eprint photosmart premium

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.