What MAC PRO DESKTOP for AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 5 ?

Reaction score
I'm upgrading my kit - new Mac Pro desktop & new Avid Media Composer (AMC) software...

I edit for a living, but my computer knowledge is pretty rubbish.

I was going to get the quad-core 3.2 Nehalem, £2,368. Then i realized that despite having 4 cores, it isn't a dual processor, and i'm told i need DUAL for HD editing work...

So, now i'm really stretching my budget to the dual quad core 2.4 Westmere, £2859.

Question: Will this be good enough to run AMC smoothly, or does it have to be the 2.66 12 core?

GRAPHICS CARD:
I can upgrade to the Radeon HD 5870, or is it better to upgrade to 2xRadeon 5770? Someone told me the 5870 is the better option!!!

Avid have only tested the Radeons on an imac and the 12 core 2.66. The rest are NVidia - and they reccomend NVidia in general...

Here's Avid's tested Mac set-ups:

http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFiles/attach/Apple%20Macintosh%20Specifications%20for%20Avid%20Media%20Composer%20v5.0%20January%202011.pdf

Is there an NVidia card i should use instead of the Radeons?
If so, am i right in thinking that those Avid tested with don't seem as good as the Radeons?

'm hoping Radeons are as good as NVidia for AMC, since the NVidia are so much more expensive.

I'm really stuck and appreciate any advice.

OP
D
Reaction score
The 'one 3.33 6-core Westmere, with either NVidia, or Radeon card, has been recommended...

Any thoughts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved this to a more appropriate forum where you should get some replies.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks chscag, i was wondering why no one replied! Doh :[

Guess the move didn't work, but thanks for trying. I got a lot of replies elsewhere, so it's no biggy :)

I'll keep checking back here, just in case, though. Cheers :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.