Help with buying first macbook pro....

Reaction score
Hi I am new here and need some help with my first purchase of a macbook pro. I def want the 15 inch screen size, but I am really not computer savy with GB's and GHz's.. I saw on the Apple site there are 3 different choices for the 15 in MBP. What I am going to use it for mostly is writing, music, and recording music since I am a musician. I am not a photo guy, my wife does all that. And I am not much of a video guy either aside from recording a song and putting it on youtube. I also do alot of web surfing and updating my sites. My thing is this, I don't want to spend 2 thousand or over and and have a small amount of space to be gobbled up quickly. I know the 2.53 GHz has 500 gb's of memory and the 2.4 GHz has 320. I see that as a big difference. But I don't get the size diff in the GHz's with 2.4, 2.53, and 2.66. Is it that much of a difference? And the Intel core i5 and i7, is there a big difference between the two of those? And one more thing, the mb size, 256mb and 512 I am assuming that is a big difference as well? For what I am using it for which would be the best choice to look further into?

Thanks,
Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac 27",iPod 32gb, iPod Touch 2nd gen 32GB v4.2.1
First of all the 2.53 has 500 GB of storage space on its hard drive. That is not the same as memory. That is the amount of space you have to store your documents,videos. I noticed in the customize section, that you could get this 500GB HD in a version that was 7200 rpm (how fast your hard disk spins) vs 5400. I'd spend that extra $50, if it were me. Will mean faster accessing of your data.

It starts you off with 4GB of RAM, which is probably fine for you. If you find you need more, then RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com or Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC are two possible places to buy more RAM much more cheaply than the Apple store. The amount of RAM determines how many programs you can have running at the same time. If you use up all of that RAM, the computer will use "unused" space on your HD to create a "virtual" memory, but it is much slower. More RAM is always good, but try your new computer first. If you're constantly running out of RAM, you can easily add more.

As to the 2.4, 2.53, 2.66, personally, I'd go with the i7, which also has 512GB of video RAM, compared to the 256GB of the other two. You'll definitely have a speedier machine. But I realize it is your money. The i5 would be ok as well, but over the long haul, I think a few extra bucks for the i7 is worth it.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks so much, I am also hearing of new MBP's being released in a couple months? Is that a rumor or is it fact. Cause I can wait a couple months if I have to but I don't want to be stuck with outdated stuff on my computer. Sorry I couldn't think of a better word lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple is always updating. I'm waiting for the new iPad and eventually new iPhone before I spring for those. (no idea how I will pay for them, of course). :)

Haven't heard the rumor of the new MacPro but wouldn't be surprised. I haven't been following that thread. I'm sure a bit of surfing will turn up that answer.

OP
I
Reaction score
Apple is always updating. I'm waiting for the new iPad and eventually new iPhone before I spring for those. (no idea how I will pay for them, of course). :)

Haven't heard the rumor of the new MacPro but wouldn't be surprised. I haven't been following that thread. I'm sure a bit of surfing will turn up that answer.

As long as the update isn't a major one I am sure I will be ok. And I am so jealous of you guys that have the Iphone's. I want one so badly.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i don't have an iPhone yet. Just a 32GB iPod Touch, 2nd gen. It's about to be non-supported in future OS updates, so either will spring for a newer Touch or will go to an iPhone. Not sure about AT&T vs Verizon just yet. GSM vs CDMA - wish they would combine the features of both of those!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.