What's a 35MM Camera?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2.0GHz Macbook, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD
Hey guys. I think this is a really beginner question, but I'm planning on taking a photography course next semester and they say I require a "35 MM Manual Camera."

I have available for me to borrow/use, a Canon 20D and a Canon S700IS. Are one of these a 35 MM camera? I'm also a little curious as to what 35 MM means, if anyone knows aswell.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
35 millimetre refers to the film that's 35 millimetres wide and rolled up inside a cartridge, usually made of thin metal.

prod_film_kodak_tm136.jpg

Both cameras you mentioned are digital.

OP
BananaPancakes
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2.0GHz Macbook, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD
Ahh, I got it! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
You may want to make sure whether or not they require a film camera or if digital is ok. In most photography classes I've looked into, they always required film.

If digital is ok, just keep in mind that the sensor sizes on the cameras you mentioned are not a full 35mm. (the light sensor replaced the film). You'll have to step up to the 1D or 5D for a full size sensor, or make the appropriate focal length adjustments for the sensor crop factor if allowed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I doubt they will allow digital as one of the big aspects of most intro photography courses is the darkroom processing

Reaction score
Rant

I can see this going to extremes as sometimes happens when one era supplants another: From horses to cars, from steam locomotives to diesels, from quill and fountain pens to typewriters. . . .

When I got my driver's licence, I had to take it in a car with an auto transmission. Because of that, I couldn't legally drive a standard. Later, I had to take another test because of the fuddy-duddies in charge who believed anyone who drives a standard without hours of instruction is a loaded gun.

But it was just a stupid prejudice and eventually was recognized as such, and the law was changed. But the law also protected jobs (like Windows networks do).

When the current crop of photo instructors are no more, their darkrooms, like diesel-locomotive firemen's jobs, will follow them into oblivion. Film photography is no more inherently proper over digital than hand-setting of type or running a 3,000-pound Linotype machine is over pagination.

After graduating, how many students will slave over hot enlargers dodging and burning images, and mix chemicals, and load film into tanks in total darkness, and spend thousands upon thousands on darkroom equipment including the never-ending new supplies of film, paper and chemicals? Dam few. They'd be nuts.

Photoshop is a million percent better than any darkroom ever was or could ever hope to be, and Kodak, the biggest photo-supply company and standard of the former industry, knows it better than most.

More likely, these students will never see the inside of a darkroom again.

Notice that BananaPancakes will use a 35. Tradition should demand that the only way to really learn would be to use an 8X10 (4X5 Speed Graphics would be way too modern).

Better yet would be learning to make and shoot glass wet plates. Best would be Daguerreotypes. But that doesn't happen because instructors know nothing about them, making the processes as irrelevant as darkrooms are now in all but memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Ranting aside, personally, I prefer to work in the darkroom. I can make a print look a million times greater than I can with photoshop. I still do not like quality inkjet printers put out. If it wasn't so expensive, I still have access to my darkroom in college because I used to work there, I'd would be a lab rat again.
If you need a cheap 35mm camera, search eBay for a Canon A-1 or Nikon FM or FM10 or something. Pentax K1000...
The 20D is a digital camera and unusable and the second is a point and shoot digital Canon as well.
Rule of thumb, Nikon uses D in the name of their digital SLR's and N in the name of the film SLR's. Nikon D80 is digital but the Nikon N80 is a film camera.
Try searching eBay for something like "Canon 35mm film SLR" and see what you come up with. Send us some links of what you're interested in and we'll help you pick what your required to have. I assume you are looking for a Canon seeing you have two Canon digital cameras.
Bryan

Reaction score
Ranting aside, personally, I prefer to work in the darkroom.

So would I. But why bother, especially when I don't have one. It would have to be a colour darkroom, anyway.

As it is, my Nikon is film, and my Epson churns out beautiful prints that despite the cost of paper and ink are far cheaper than using photographic paper and chemicals. Takes less time, too.

Compared to six- or 12-million-pixel images, what would a 35-mil neg be? 25 million? 25 billion? But the difference can't really be seen anymore. if I had my druthers, I'd get into 4X5. But even there and with swing and tilt lenses and camera backs, digital is taking over (and Photoshop corrects for that, too).

M

MacHeadCase

I read somewhere that a 35mm picture would be roughly translated as a 24-ish billion pixels camera. I'll see if I can find the info again 'cause I didn't bookmark the reference.

Reaction score
Regarding grain, it really has all been downhill since Daguerreotypes, described as grainless.

This page goes into it in depth (a 300-X microscope was used, which only proves the point).

This page has a better description of the whys and wherefores, while this one describes the high standards revealed in a portrait.

M

MacHeadCase

Wow! That's fascinating stuff, Browny!

BTW I just had a quick look-see in google and can't seem to find that reference I posted about earlier. I'll try to find it though. :)

Oops! We are going off topic, aren't we? *Blush*

Reaction score
I read somewhere that a 35mm picture would be roughly translated as a 24-ish billion pixels camera.
This page seems to have as good an explanation of the pixel count as any.

My search turned up references of millions to billions of pixels in a negative, and as many arguments over it in discussion threads. But all those opinions aside, as soon as a neg or print (a print, by itself, represents a great deal of loss from the negative) is scanned, any benefits in the superior number of pixels is gone — 300 dpi is 300 dpi.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 white book with some niffty icons
A good store to go look at would be Henrys

I think they have an online store.

Reaction score
Henry's online camera store is here. It also sells used equipment with three-month warranties — and new Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle
My first photography class in high school was an all film class and I feel that the whole darkroom experience is important. I always had fun working in the dark room and watching my images take shape and loading film in pitch black darkness isn't that hard, you get used to it. I think it's important to start with film and get to know the basics and appreciate how far cameras have advanced and learn the history. I dunno, that's just me but I feel I got a better appreciation through the whole darkroom experience and actually sometimes prefer it.

Reaction score
I'm not sure it's a case of adding up pixels to match film resolution. They are two different types of media and therefore have different qualities. One's made of pixels and looks like pixels. The other one is chemical and has different aesthetics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
A lot of old-schoolers like to mention that the benefits and ease of photoshop are making photographers more lazy to get the best original shot. They just shoot in RAW and figure on adjusting lighting, contrast and color later rather than making it the best possible picture. That and the obvious ability to take many shots with minimal cost compared to film. Of course, no post-processing can quite replace making the original shot as good as possible.

Another issue i've heard is that digital cameras can't catch a high dynamic range of light, so either your stuck with blown out lights or no detail in darks, or you have to take 2 or more exposures and carefully blend them to get the same photo as a film camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Hey guys. I think this is a really beginner question, but I'm planning on taking a photography course next semester and they say I require a "35 MM Manual Camera."

I have available for me to borrow/use, a Canon 20D and a Canon S700IS. Are one of these a 35 MM camera? I'm also a little curious as to what 35 MM means, if anyone knows aswell.

Thanks in advance

That's pretty funny. I guess it's along the lines of people asking me was a 5.25" floppy is.

Oh well. I have one with two lenses for sale if you want some pictures and info, let me know. I'm letting it go for fairly cheap, I'm still on the fence for letting it go or not. I may just end up buying a Canon 35mm slr down the road if I can sell this Minolta I've had sitting around for a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
A lot of old-schoolers like to mention that the benefits and ease of photoshop are making photographers more lazy to get the best original shot. They just shoot in RAW and figure on adjusting lighting, contrast and color later rather than making it the best possible picture. That and the obvious ability to take many shots with minimal cost compared to film. Of course, no post-processing can quite replace making the original shot as good as possible.

Another issue i've heard is that digital cameras can't catch a high dynamic range of light, so either your stuck with blown out lights or no detail in darks, or you have to take 2 or more exposures and carefully blend them to get the same photo as a film camera.

With film though, it's still possible to get a shot with part of the photo over exposed and blown out. Some people are just film purist though. If you see my post above, If I sell the Minolta I have, I may still buy another 35 mm slr. I have a friend that still shoots 100% film for all the weddings he does.

But then again, taking a great photo and making it even better with some pp is one good benefit of digital. That and being able to easily share your photos over the web.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.