Is one single pixel enough?

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I have one "dead" pixel on my ipad 2...it is in the middle of the screen. Would this be enough for you guys to go get apple to take a look at it? I hate to be a huge pain, but I bought the thing less than a month ago, so I am looking for the best quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
I would say yes..one pixel is enough for apple to probably even replace it

They bend over backwards and if u ( the customer) notice it obviously it's enough

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Absolutely. What is it, maybe a month old? You shouldn't have any dead pixels and Apple will surely replace it if you take it in.

OP
bentharbour
Reaction score
Take a look at these guys, I just want to verify that you would call this a "dead pixel". I would like to go into the store and seem like I know what it is and not just throwing out random problems.

5643584444_2f54ce12b9.jpg

5643584494_ff2acf6730.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Apple has guidelines on how many dead pixels and where they are with regard to whether they'll replace or repair a screen. Best thing is just to take it to them and have them look at it.

OP
bentharbour
Reaction score
So I took it into the Apple store in Toronto this morning. It was easter weekend so stores were closed friday and sunday in Canada (and there was no way I would be caught in yorkdale on a saturday sandwiched between two holidays).

I took it there expecting to walk out with a new one, so I restored the iPad to factory settings. I walked up to one of the Genius' and showed them my problem. Within 10 minutes, I walked out with a brand new iPad. Although I was expecting it, I was not sure 100% if they would give me a new one or if they even had the stock. Needless to say I was happy and the Genius apologized sincerely, even though it wasn't his or Apple's fault. I tend not to take things such as this too seriously as it happens and getting all fussy about it will get you nowhere.

Is it just me, or does it seem like there are LESS iPad 2's available than there were a week or two after launch? I specifically remember going into few Future Shops and Best Buys a week after the 25th (launch in Canada) and seeing many iPad 2's locked up. I was looking for a new case today and stopped by a few FS's and BB's and none of them had any!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Within 10 minutes, I walked out with a brand new iPad. Although I was expecting it, I was not sure 100% if they would give me a new one or if they even had the stock.

First let me say thanks for the update...and congratulations on getting a replacement iPad 2.:)

But (I'm getting in a little late on this thread)...before your visit to the Apple Store I would not have been quite as confident as you sounded.

As I believe Schweb mentioned above...Apple and other manufacturers have guidelines relating to dead pixels & hardware replacement/repair. I don't know the exact numbers off hand...but usually on items such as laptop displays & LCD monitors...you need multiple dead pixels before a replacement/repair is likely to happen. With one special note...it also depends if the dead pixels are spread out over the surface of the display...or are clustered together. Clustering of dead pixels requires fewer dead pixels to get a replacement/repair.

And usually...one dead pixel is not enough for a replacement/repair.

But all of this really doesn't matter now. You got a replacement...and that's what's important! Congrats again...and way to go Apple!:):)

- Nick

OP
bentharbour
Reaction score
Yeah, I am a glass is half full kind of guy. Furthermore, if something doesn't "meet" my expectations it is not a big deal. Although Schweb is right with what he is saying, I figured I would just go in there and be my usual self (confident and very understanding) and hopefully come out with what I went there for.

Good thing I got it I guess. As I was leaving I saw a lot of "how did he get that!" looks haha

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yeah, I am a glass is half full kind of guy. Furthermore, if something doesn't "meet" my expectations it is not a big deal. Although Schweb is right with what he is saying, I figured I would just go in there and be my usual self (confident and very understanding) and hopefully come out with what I went there for.

Good thing I got it I guess. As I was leaving I saw a lot of "how did he get that!" looks haha

Hey...I agree...you did the right thing. Nothing tried...nothing gained!;)

- Nick

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Is it just me, or does it seem like there are LESS iPad 2's available than there were a week or two after launch? I specifically remember going into few Future Shops and Best Buys a week after the 25th (launch in Canada) and seeing many iPad 2's locked up. I was looking for a new case today and stopped by a few FS's and BB's and none of them had any!

This could be one of the reasons why Production issues hit iPad 2 shipments

Reaction score
iPad 2 quality

First off I have to say that the customer service of Apple is usually very good and that if you have any issues most of the time they will find a solution for it (hardware defects= replacement).

I have had serious screen bleeding issues on my white iPad 2 and it got replaced at an Apple store without an issue at all.

OP
bentharbour
Reaction score
Yeah, we have all heard about the light bleeding issues. It is a shame, but thankfully apple has handled it well and given their usual customer service.

The new iPad 2 I was given does have a slight "yellow tint" on one side. But after some research I hear it is just the glue that has to fully dry. Even if it stayed, I don't care, it is not a big deal to me. I love this iPad.

Have you guys opted for AppleCare?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I haven't made it to the Apple store. But I've dropped in my local BB and Target after they were suppose to carry them at least a half dozen times. I drive within 1/2 mile of both of them daily. Not a one in sight yet.

Reaction score
I have not purchased Apple care and I do not think I ever will for the iPad.

In my opinion those devices don't usually just break after a year without force and if you are dropping it or anything Apple Care won't help you anyways.

Apple care is alright on the laptops and iMac's but not for the iPad.

Reaction score
I doubt I will buy it. I have bought extended warranties for several Apple products in the last few years for a hundred a pop from both BB and FS and never needed one of them! I could have a nice new white iphone 4 for all the warranty money I have dropped in the past year or two on all my electronic addictions!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I brought my iPad into the local Apple Store for the bleeding light issue. Was going to give me a replacement, but they only had one in stock and it was reserved. I'll have to go back another time.

OP
bentharbour
Reaction score
I doubt I will buy it. I have bought extended warranties for several Apple products in the last few years for a hundred a pop from both BB and FS and never needed one of them! I could have a nice new white iphone 4 for all the warranty money I have dropped in the past year or two on all my electronic addictions!!!

This is the exact same thing that most customers debate in their heads before purchasing warranty's - and I am no different. I think that if a "manufacturer defect" was going to happen, it would happen in the first year. AppleCare will not cover drops or accidental damage, so I do not know if I see the value.

OP
bentharbour
Reaction score
I brought my iPad into the local Apple Store for the bleeding light issue. Was going to give me a replacement, but they only had one in stock and it was reserved. I'll have to go back another time.

Yeah, its tough if the stock is so low in many places. You will have to wait for replacements because they simply do not have the units.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.