Use for old Power Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 Ghz, iPhone 4s, 13" MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz
Hey Guys,

I have recently come into possession of an old Power Mac G5, and am trying to think of some kind of use for it. The specs are pretty unimpressive at just SP 1.6 Ghz, 2 gigs of ram and an 80 gig hard drive. Its a gorgeous machine it would be a shame to just junk it.

Any unique ideas? or has this dinosaur seen its last days of use.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The older Powermac G5's are great for running older software (software that was vintage to the computer)...and they are certainly perfect for e-mail and most internet surfing.

One the "down-side"...the Powermac G5 1.6ghz single processor is probably the worst (the dog) of all of the Powermac G5 lineup for various reasons.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 Ghz, iPhone 4s, 13" MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz
The older Powermac G5's are great for running older software (software that was vintage to the computer)...and they are certainly perfect for e-mail and most internet surfing.

One the "down-side"...the Powermac G5 1.6ghz single processor is probably the worst (the dog) of all of the Powermac G5 lineup for various reasons.

- Nick

Yes, unfortunately this beast is limited to its single processor, I thought perhaps I could throw another processor inside and make it a tad more lively, but due to what I believe to be logic board limitations this is not possible. Instead I may end up just hooking it up to my lcd tv and use to for playing ppc games or something. Thanks for the suggestions

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes, unfortunately this beast is limited to its single processor, I thought perhaps I could throw another processor inside and make it a tad more lively, but due to what I believe to be logic board limitations this is not possible. Instead I may end up just hooking it up to my lcd tv and use to for playing ppc games or something. Thanks for the suggestions

Besides being only 1 of 2 single cpu Powermac G5 models (out of 14 models)...it also had:

- a slower logic board (compared to other Powermac G5 models)
- a max ram of 4gig
- PCI slots (instead of PCI-X)

But still a decent computer compared to most Powermac G4's.:)

Enjoy it,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Contact your local church groups, boy scouts and schools. They will be able to help you pass the G5 on to a disadvantaged student which is a long way better than junking it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DeskTop is a MacPro 2.8 Quad/22gig/900gig SSD/2x3Tb HD plus MBP 15" 2.66 Core I7 /8gig/1.5Tb SSD
With a hard drive upgrade it could be used as file server or backup machine..

C

chas_m

Lots of things you can do with that machine, as long as you stay away from Flash, HD video and use mostly older software with it. The HD is easily replaceable with a larger drive, ditto the RAM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.