keyboard question

Reaction score
i just got a new macbook pro its my first mac and i am trying to figure out what the little pictures mean on the f5 and f6 key

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
C'mon, don't be scared. :D

This is a Mac, not a Windows computer. There's not a whole lot to break. (Because, at least in some people's opinionated eyes, Mac OS X is practically idiot proof :D)

OP
J
Reaction score
cool thanks man i have been pressing it not noticing the keyboard lights getting dimmer or brighter

Reaction score
cool thanks man i have been pressing it not noticing the keyboard lights getting dimmer or brighter

You mean they're working, or they're not?

It's a bit confusing as to what you mean here...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Yes...if you're in a bright room or near a window with lots of bright sunlight...it may be hard to notice. Also if there is too much ambient light...the illuminated keys won't even light up...you need to be in a semi-dark room.

Turn off the lights in the room...and give yourself a little "treat". Press the F5 & F6 keys in the dark...and watch the "light show"!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Yes...if you're in a bright room or near a window with lots of bright sunlight...it may be hard to notice.

Turn off the lights in the room...and give yourself a little "treat". Press the F5 & F6 keys in the dark...and watch the "light show"!;)

- Nick

I love that show! Now, if it only came in color. :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love that show! Now, if it only came in color. :p

It can be done. I've seen someone else change the color...I think to all red...multiple colors would be interesting.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
It can be done. I've seen someone else change the color...I think to all red...multiple colors would be interesting.:)

- Nick

There's a "light sheet" at the very bottom of the keyboard where these lights are. Putting a very thin film that is colorized deeply colorizes the lighting. Pretty neat, not that I need that light though, but color changing would be nice, since white is a bit bad for night vision (even at lowest setting).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
i just got a new macbook pro its my first mac and i am trying to figure out what the little pictures mean on the f5 and f6 key

And for future reference, your MacBook Pro came with a small booklet called a "manual" which answers all sorts of questions like this.

If you've lost yours, which lots of people seem to do as soon as they open the box, you can download a copy at
Apple - Support - Manuals

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.