Adding a Blu-Ray drive? Possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Now that the format war seems to be nearing a conclusion and Blu-Ray is looking to be the winner, I was wondering if it's possible to replace the SuperDrive in my iMac (C2D) with a Blu-Ray one?

I would probably wait until Apple released a Blu-Ray iMac, and buy whatever SuperDrive they use. But is it possible to replace the SuperDrive in a C2D iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
If you do it, it will void your warranty if its still good. Apple may do it, but it will probably cost you a pretty penny, when they finally do put blu-ray drives in the iMacs. Plus, I'm not sure if there are any slim slot loading blu-ray drives yet?

Gav

Reaction score
imac17.jpg

Thats what the inside of the iMac Intel looks like, the DVD Drive is the thing on the right.

It takes a **** of a lot of work to get it apart and back together without damaging it (my friend did it, and gave up, sold it to someone for parts)

Slot loading Blu-Ray costs about £600.

You could do it, yes, you could. But would you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Now that the format war seems to be nearing a conclusion and Blu-Ray is looking to be the winner, I was wondering if it's possible to replace the SuperDrive in my iMac (C2D) with a Blu-Ray one?

I would probably wait until Apple released a Blu-Ray iMac, and buy whatever SuperDrive they use. But is it possible to replace the SuperDrive in a C2D iMac?

Another option is to use an external drive. They run about $500. All you need is a compatible external case - those run about $50. I think you can buy pre-made external Blu-ray drives starting at around $600.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
Another option is to use an external drive. They run about $500. All you need is a compatible external case - those run about $50. I think you can buy pre-made external Blu-ray drives starting at around $600.
actually you could get one cheaper on ebay.I purchased my external Sony DVDR brand new with a 1 year warrenty for only $100.00 with a Galaxy casing.The Blue ray i could have purchased for $70.00 more.Just search and you will find.

Reaction score
this may sound REALLY stupid, but would it be possible to buy a PS3 20GB, take the slot loading Blu-Ray drive out of the system, and put it in an iMac? i wonder if that would work :-/

Reaction score
wait, now that I think about it, the PS3 does not have any recording capabilities. Spending $500 for a drive that doesn't record Blu-Ray is just stupid. I just wasn't thinking. lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.