mini cd stuck in drive

Reaction score
Hello...newbie to the forum here. The other day I received a mini CD with Corel Paint Pro 9 on it as a bonus to the purchase of a Compact Flash card. I inserted the disc into my DVD/CD drive. It didn't show up on my desktop, nor has it installed. Most importantly, the disc won't eject from the computer. I have tried shutting down and restarting...numerous times. All I hear is the whirring sound of the disc trying to eject.

My nearest Apple store is 3 hours away. Can someone help me?

Thanks,

Geoff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Try holding down the mouse button right after you fire up the unit and before anything loads. Hold it down, it should eject the disc. Obviously let go when you hear it ejecting. It worked with a cd stuck in the G3 iMac when I got it.
Hope this works out for ya!
Bryan

Reaction score
lol just tip the mac up and give it a lil gentle shake..... ull see the cd come out
and just pull it.

This EXACT thing happened to me as ^^^^ he posted in the link.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Try holding down the mouse button right after you fire up the unit and before anything loads. Hold it down, it should eject the disc. Obviously let go when you hear it ejecting. It worked with a cd stuck in the G3 iMac when I got it.
Bryan

If he's put a mini-CD in there, that won't work. Mini CDs won't get picked up properly by the mechanism.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
One unfortunate drawback of slot-loading drives. Luckily mini-CD's aren't really used any more. I'm actually surprised to hear they still get used. It's probably such a small quantity that regular CDs must be cheaper, so why even bother with them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powerbook 1GHz PowerPC G4 1MB L3 cache 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM
palley,

welcome to my club. I did the very same thing my very first day.

If nothing else you have tried has worked, I got my disk out by...

MAKE SURE YOUR MACBOOK IS POWERED DOWN

1. Very carefully inserting a straightened out paper clip about one inch into my cd/dvd drive. Keep it ro the right and you should feel some spring tension. apparently that is a manual release switch you feel there.

2. Press the clip towards the tight so that the "switch" is fully depressed.

3. While the switch is depressed move your laptop in a quick forward motion, thus forcing the disk out of the slot.

May take a few attempts, I had to actually upend my laptop and give it a little shake but the disk came out quickly.

Ususally sticking sharp metal objects in to a diskdrive and shaking a $2000 computer would be considered "bad". Just be gentle , it worked for me.
Hope that works for you.

bf

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
sorry but lol a mini cd why did you think it would work in your dive hahaha

ok sorry yer just give it a shake and hope for the best.

but just a note if you ever have to had college work in to tutors that have slot loading laptops a blank mini cd is the best way to get sum extra time as when thay can not use it you have to put it on a full size cd and by then you have some extra time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15.4 core2duo 2.16 2gb
lol just tip the mac up and give it a lil gentle shake..... ull see the cd come out
and just pull it.

This EXACT thing happened to me as ^^^^ he posted in the link.

yeah thats ur best solution :) happened to me when i first got my mbp, the first day actually, got kinda embarrassed cuz i was trying to brag how the the look is so simple yet so complicated found out the hard way that it wasnt that complicated :p

Reaction score
OMG!!! the same thing just happened to me and I just gave it a little shake like Dan said and the mini CD came out... THANKS SO MUCH!!! You just saved me who knows how much... thanks thanks thanks!!

Reaction score
Mini CD stuck in drive

Do not insert a mini cd into a mac book!

Last time I didn't know and I couldn't get it out.

You have to stick a Normal C.D in as far as it will go. Then use someting to grab it out.

Reaction score
It works

Recently a friend called me somewhat ashamed to announce that she had mistakenly inserted a mini cd into her macbook drive and obviously couldn't retrieve it. I read several suggestions from this forum and others and made a list. I used paper clips, sticky notes, needles, business cards with tape, you name it. After several failed attempts we tried shaking it as a last resort. Simply holding it upside down and shaking it firmly caused it to drop right out. Granted the other people at City Brew gave us several funny looks but it sure beats buying a new drive.

Point being: Try shaking it before you buy another drive.
:D

Reaction score
Hi
Just took my life in my hands - and while a had a mini dvd trapped in my iMac, I shoved a regular sized dvd in there too - and then pressed Command E and out they both came!:Smirk:

Reaction score
For anyone reading this thread as I did in the same situation but nearer a apple store. I'd highly recommend taking into a store. I tried lots of methods I read about online. Inserting other CD's, cards, card with sticky sided cellotape, putting it upside down, lots of turning it on and off etc. Even thought about tweezers etc. Wasted loads of time with no success.

I took it into the shop. They got it out in 2 mins. No charge. No damage done.

For anyone reading this thread as I did in the same situation.

I'd highly recommend taking into an apple store. They sorted it out so quickly and for free. It took a couple of days to get an appointment but once there it was so simple.

Before that I tried lots of methods I read about online. Inserting other CD's, cards, card with sticky sided cellotape, putting it upside down, lots of turning it on and off etc. Even thought about tweezers etc. Wasted loads of time with no success and also was very worried that my not successful, getting more and more frustrated, efforts had done it more damage.

I took it into the shop. They got it out in 2 mins. No charge. No damage done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
The two methods we most often used were taking the computer in the back (out of sight of the owner) and shaking it firmly to force the disk to slip out a little or using a piece of packing tape on a business card (or something similarly thin/rigid, narrow putty knife works well too) to stick to the disk and pull it out. Probably 19 times out of 20, the disk came out easily. That one time, we checked in the computer, disassembled the drive, removed the disk, and if the computer was under warranty, more than likely replace the optical drive.

Reaction score
Hii, i don't talk english, but I'll try to help those who have this doubt. lol

When my cd was stuck in the drive, I was in despair, until I read here "try shake the Mac", but it did not result nothing.
The Apple store closer to my house is 4 hours away.
So, I read that you should insert another CD (not the small, normal). And believe me, it worked.
The CD did not even enter whole, when I heard the noise of ejecting something, and when I saw the mini-cd was already out of the unit.

I almost cried with joy lol

Well, just wanted to say that this works, good luck. xx ;P

Reaction score
Mini CD - Do Not get Panic

Hi,

It is easy. First come out of that panic situation.

Use a tooth pick and try to locate the cd gently from a side - better from right corner.

And turn the Mac to the vertical position - pointing the CD drive slot downwards. The CD will be out with a small and soft tap on the Mac:)

Reaction score
I tried what Bryan suggested here when I got a mini cd stuck, and it worked a charm. Thanks Bryan! :)
Bryan

Reaction score
DVD stuck? Try this....

hosanna! kyrie elision or however you spell it! accidently shoved 2 DVDs into my macbook pro opening (no tray), investigated apple help boards, did everything but the two-sided tape deal. went out to buy the 2-sided tape (the thick, cushy kind that's supposed to hang pics), put it width-wise on the joker from a deck, and VOILA! Both came out.....

Reaction score
It worked for me

Hi,

I had the same problem, and solved it trying to insert another cd into the drive. When I heard a noise (before inserting it fully into the drive) I pulled it back, and the mini cd came out.

Cheers

AZ

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.