My Experience Switching

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook w/ 2.16GHz Duo & 2GB RAM
I used mac-forums when I was trying to decide on whether to stick to Windows machines or get a Mac, so I thought I'd post my experience. Sorry it's long, but might be useful for a switcher.

First off, I am 27 and have used Windows (3.1, 95, 98, 2000, NT, XP, 2003, Vista) for about 15 years. I am a Network Admin/Support for a medium sized company using Microsoft and AIX products. I also used several Linux flavours during college. My only Mac experience to date was in middle school and for a short period in math classes during college.

My first inclination to buy a Mac was that I spend all day looking at Windows machines and for that reason, I tend to avoid using a computer at home. The other is that I wanted a small (PORTABLE) notebook with simple features that worked without hassle.

Here's what I wanted: A notebook PC that was compact and portable. I could put it in a bag and pull it out to check e-mail whenever I wanted and surf the web if I was bored. I could load all of my pictures and put them in an e-mail or put them on the web. I could close it up, put it in the bag, and the next time I opened it up I'd be back where I started and do it all over again.

My last PC was a toshiba laptop with XP. It has been a great computer, but due to size and battery length it has not moved much from my desk in 3 years. My girlfriend has a dell inspiron that seems to work well, but it just doesn't have the build quality I'm looking for. I tested a macbook and one of our old employees had an ibook that he raved about. I was pleased with the interface and functionality.

So, I decided on a macbook because of it's size and upgraded the ram to make sure it would last a while. A macbook pro would have been the choice had it been offered in the smaller case (I wanted small). I found PCs in the same configuration to be equally or more expensive. Therefore, I bought it.

The Good:

Portable... yes. I love that. No problem taking this thing anywhere. My Verizon phone tethers perfectly via bluetooth on the outside chance that I can't find wifi. The apps work, iSight is fun to play with and functional when I want to take a quick picture of something and get it out. NeoOffice is installed and I haven't used it because I mostly do my personal word processing/spreadsheets with Google Documents. Gimp is the same as it always has been, so I'm happy with that. iChat handles all of my chatting needs (AIM/Google Talk). Iphoto does a great job organizing my photos. Dashboard is fun sometimes, but I don't care a lot about it. The battery lasts more than as long as I could need it.

The Bad:

Well, I've had a few application errors that got on my nerves. Apps occasionally hang and misbehave, but usually a software update or restarting the machine after installing will take care of them. I don't see anything that leads me to believe it's a hardware fault. I have had no persistent problems. The black book does take a lot of fingerprints, but they don't seem to bother me any more (blend together?). The keyboard shortcuts are taking time to get used to versus the windows versions, too... that's about it.

Conclusion:

I'm a tech junkie and a very busy person who rarely sits in the same place for very long. This macbook has been a great addition to my arsenal. I'm glad I decided on it versus a Windows PC that I would probably have gotten tired of by now. This is exactly what I wanted.

That's my experience!

-
Andy

T

todd51

Glad it was a good experience, Andy! I'm sure you'll get used to the shortcuts and they will be come second nature to you just like Windows. I'm happy that you are pleased with the Macbook.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I've used to many computers in my life, I know it's a matter of getting used to this or that. The bottom line is that I dropped a decent chunk of money on a little black box and I have no regrets. The shortcuts are a minor issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Good to hear more satisfied OSX users. Welcome to mac-forums!

Reaction score
I'm a tech junkie and a very busy person who rarely sits in the same place for very long. This macbook has been a great addition to my arsenal.
Andy, I'm still a PC guy, but thinking about making "the switch." :)

Question: do you ever find the Macbook to be heavy for its size? Being an ex-PC guy ;) you probably know there are other 13.3" laptops as light as 3.7 lbs (vs. the Macbook's 5.1 lbs).

Just curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb
I had the same thing in my mind when i was thinking to buy a Mac.
I wanted something different and as everybody says something more stable.
Now im in love with my MBP but still tryin to figure out how to do some things, but im fine with it, its fun to got a new OS :)
Im happy that ur switching was good. Im sure u gonna love it, if ur not already done that ^^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Have to say very happy on my MBP - and my first computer was an Atari - How sad is that?

In fact the 15" MBP is so good compared to my desktop that I prefer to run xp in parallels VM than on the native system [Mind you I do have the dreadfull P4 3,6ghz Prescott]

I've had my machine for around two weeks now and I'm finding that I'm double tapping instead of right clicking when I then change to my son's Vaio.:D

Reaction score
Have to say very happy on my MBP - and my first computer was an Atari - How sad is that?
You want sad? My first PC was a TRS-80. :eek:

250px-Trs80_2.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD
I had an apple II gs! that was my last apple computer before this macbook.

Its good to be back!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Andy, I'm still a PC guy, but thinking about making "the switch." :)

Question: do you ever find the Macbook to be heavy for its size? Being an ex-PC guy ;) you probably know there are other 13.3" laptops as light as 3.7 lbs (vs. the Macbook's 5.1 lbs).

Just curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

The weight doesn't really bother me any. I've used a few tablets and were impressed at how light they were, but the extra pounds on the macbook doesn't make much different to me.

Yes, from the windows world this is heavy for a 13 inch laptop, but it isn't prohibitive to anything that I do (and I usually take it with me, in a case).

-
Andy

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

In fact the 15" MBP is so good compared to my desktop that I prefer to run xp in parallels VM than on the native system [Mind you I do have the dreadfull P4 3,6ghz Prescott]

I've had my machine for around two weeks now and I'm finding that I'm double tapping instead of right clicking when I then change to my son's Vaio.:D

Amen, I caught myself double tapping on a Dell laptop today... I like the doubletap!

-
Andy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to hear you're enjoying your mac. I got an imac two weeks ago, breaking up my twenty-year marriage to microsoft. I love my mac.

My first computer:
Timex Sinclaire 1000 (1983).

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=477

Second computer:
Apple 600/800 xl

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=27

Check the specs on these things. The Timex didn't even have a hard-drive!

Well, at least my first had a whopping 4MB of RAM. It was a Dell 486 SX 25. That's 25 MHz and (I think) a 120MB hard drive. Could have splurged a few hundred more for the 33MHz with 8MB RAM. But hey, Windows 3.11 flew on it. I almost got a 386 machine at the time, but I wanted faster.... lol.

Oh yeah, it came with a free year of Prodigy... woohoo! I thought a 14.4kbps modem would be the best investment of my life.

-
Andy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.