had to replace my HD... PLEASE HELP!

Reaction score
so I had a HD failure on my macbook pro. I purchased a replacement HD from newegg and installed it. Now my problem is I realized I never received a software disc with my computer. how do I go about getting software on this thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
What version of OS X are you running? Did you purchase the MBP new or used?

P.S. if you have a bootable clone of your Mac on an external you can boot from that and transfer everything over using whatever app you cloned with.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
so I had a HD failure on my macbook pro. I purchased a replacement HD from newegg and installed it. Now my problem is I realized I never received a software disc with my computer. how do I go about getting software on this thing?

You didn't tell us what model MacBook Pro you have…but I'm going to assume it's a newer model…which no longer comes with install disks.

This is a pretty tough situation…since you probably should have done at least one of the two things I'm listing below (both would have been better) with your old computer:

1. Made a bootable OS thumb drive in case of an emergency.
2. Made a backup of your old hard drive (or a clone)…just in case of emergency.

Is your old HD completely useless…or can you boot the MBP from it?

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
You didn't tell us what model MacBook Pro you have…but I'm going to assume it's a newer model…which no longer comes with install disks.

This is a pretty tough situation…since you probably should have done at least one of the two things I'm listing below (both would have been better) with your old computer:

1. Made a bootable OS thumb drive in case of an emergency.
2. Made a backup of your old hard drive (or a clone)…just in case of emergency.

Is your old HD completely useless…or can you boot the MBP from it?

- Nick

the HD would not boot which is what the problem was. I just got the gray screen and the spinning wheel. I had apple store check it out and they said it needed a new HD.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im not positive. i bought it new in 2010

You need to be EXACT on this point. We need to know EXACTLY what you have otherwise we cannot help you. This is a VERY important point…because it determines if your computer can use OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or not…which is the last Macintosh OS to come on a disk.

And if it truly is a MacBook Pro from 2010 or before…then it DID come with two gray-colored OS install disks…and you need to find them (assuming you purchased this computer new).

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
You need to be EXACT on this point. We need to know EXACTLY what you have otherwise we cannot help you. This is a VERY important point…because it determines if your computer can use OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or not…which is the last Macintosh OS to come on a disk.

And if it truly is a MacBook Pro from 2010 or before…then it DID come with two gray-colored OS install disks…and you need to find them (assuming you purchased this computer new).

- Nick

i know snow leopard was the OS but I dont know if it was 10.6. its a unibody with no battery access on the bottom. i had to remove the entire bottom cover to get to the HD if that means anything. If I did receive the discs but no longer have them, what are my options?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i know snow leopard was the OS but I dont know if it was 10.6. its a unibody with no battery access on the bottom. i had to remove the entire bottom cover to get to the HD if that means anything. If I did receive the discs but no longer have them, what are my options?

Snow Leopard IS OS 10.6!

As far as options. Since OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) is no longer sold…you need to call Apple at their "800" (not the Apple Stores)…and ask them about purchasing an OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) install disk.

This will get you going!:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Snow Leopard IS OS 10.6!

As far as options. Since OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) is no longer sold…you need to call Apple at their "800" (not the Apple Stores)…and ask them about purchasing an OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) install disk.

This will get you going!:)

- Nick

if i can find a friend with one will it work?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if i can find a friend with one will it work?

Not really.

- Firstly (just to be sure)…you need a retail install disk (white with a Snow Leopard on it). You cannot use an other persons gray discs…they are model specific.
- Second…only one install/person/computer/disk.

You need to purchase your own Snow Leopard disk.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Dude, $29 for a SL DVD and $19 for ML via Mac App Store. How hard is that? Less than the majority of us are spending on a tank of gas these days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go back and read Nick's link No. 8.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.